Car Radio

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Chris, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I bought a radio for my truck about a year or so ago, now since that I have a garage I would like to take my old radio from my truck and hook it up in the garage.

What suggestions would you have since the radio runs on a 12v system? I would like to be able to plug in the radio to a standard outlet in the garage and listen to some tunes while working.

thanks
    chris

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Be a lot cheaper to hit the goodwill or a yard sale and pick up a ghetto blaster for 5$....other than than,hit Radio Shak for a 12 VDC power supply.

3. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    if you have an old cell phone charger or an old game system 12 volt plug layin around.cut the tip off wire it to the power wires on the stereo wire up your speaker and your good to go. i no this because ive done it personally

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I taken an old Winchester ammo crate, couple a speakers for auto use, antena for auto use, and a 12 charger on a gel cell and built one for my gagage. Blow any ghetto blaster away and had fun with an afternoon project. It was fun, and unique. I just did the cutouts for the mounts and put the antena out the top. Cool. Got handles on it , so I can put er out on the patio for the Q.
    :big_smile:

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's what you need, a regulated 12volt DC power supply.

That will usually make the most awful whining or humming noise. Those transformers don't have very "clean" DC power coming out, not to mention they aren't regulated at 12 volts. I've seen them put out as much as 20 volts before. Your radio won't appreciate that. But you're right, it will probably work. For a while. Same thing as trying to use a battery charger to power something up. Very noisy.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If you have one of those portable jump start boxes it will have a 12 volt power source receptacle(mine does).

When it goes dead just recharge it from your wall socket. BTW, if you don't own one, it would be a good idea to get one anyway,JMHO.