Car problem, 2002 Nissan Altima (4cyl)

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 15, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    trying to help get one of my moms cars running, car wont start. used the code scanner, came up a 0304 "Multiple cylinder misfire" so i checked out the coil packs and the plugs. they fire fine when cranking but may be out of sinc. also took out the fuel pump, the fuel pump doesnt "humm" when you turn the key on like most cars but does "humm" while cranking. no fuses blow either. autozone was NO help and the Haynes manual no help either. :(

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not much help on the newer ones, but I THINK there's a crank position sensor that tells the coil packs when to fire. If you've got the book it should walk you through how to check that.

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    they have a lot of problems with the crank and cam sensors, they arent that expensive so i would replace both of them, but if you are getting spark they are working but could be out of time, i would check into it a little further, if you can get a scanner for the data check the mas air flow and i would do a fuel pressure test also, what engine is in it ? does it have a timing belt ?

4. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    Have you checked the timing belt, or chain (whichever that car has)?

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a great place to start. If the timing is off it might flag the p0300 (random misfire) If you can't find the alignment marks, do a compression check. If they're low across the board you've probably jumped time. If it has jumped time here's a procedure you need to perform to verify the engine's integrity. Becasue of most of todays engines being interference engines when the belt breaks, it bends valves. You'll need to take off the valve cover and the rockers assy's to remove the cam. keep everything in order for reassembly. (don't mix up the caps) remove the camshaft and then do a compression check. If you have low compression across the board still, then you've got bent valves requiring head removal and a valve job. If the compression is good (120 or more) install a belt. It sounds like a lot of work. But, it beats installing a $50.00 belt to find the engines fragged. Good luck...

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just double checked. That engine has a chain. It's still possible to jump time though. I'd do The normal checks as dave said, #1 would be fuel pressure. Get me some more info and I'll help you as much as I can. There's an engine i.d. somewhere. Look on the emissions sticker. Should be a series of letters after or under the engine size. Like PQRDF3 something like that. The fuel pressure should be appr 50 pounds. heres a picture of the timing chain if it comes to it. I also found something that might really interest you. There might be a recall that covers your problem it it turns out to be sensor related. Check out the attachment below. You'll have to call the dealer to see if yours is still covered considering mileage and age.

Attached Files:

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Reference:
    NTB03-124
    Date:
    December 19, 2003
    VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN ENGINE SENSORS
    CAMPAIGN I.D.#/NHTSA #:
    R3022/03V-345
    APPLIED VEHICLES:
    2000-03 Sentra (B15)
    2002 Altima (L31)
    2002-03 Maxima (A33)
    2003 Murano (Z50)
    2003 350Z (Z33)

APPLIED VINs
    APPLIED ENGINES:
    QG18DE, QR25DE, VQ35DE
    NOTE: Use Service Comm. to confirm campaign eligibility.
    INTRODUCTION
    Nissan has determined that some 2000-2003 model year Nissan vehicles may have a defect which relates
    to motor vehicle safety. The engine might stop running while being driven if the crank position sensor
    or cam position sensor fails. This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on or
    reduced engine power. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without
    warning.
    IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
    Nissan has assigned identification number R3022 to this campaign. This number must appear on all
    communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
    NUMBER OF VEHICLES POTENTIALLY AFFECTED
    The number of vehicles potentially affected is approximately 572,000.
    DEALER RESPONSIBILITY
    It is the retailer's responsibility to check Service Comm for the campaign status on each
    vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall which for any reason enters
    the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by
    transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer's inventory. Federal law requires that
    new vehicles in dealer inventory which are the subject of a safety recall must be corrected
    prior to sale. Failure to do so can result in civil penalties by the National Highway Traffic
    Safety Administration. While federal law applies only to new vehicles, Nissan strongly encourages
    dealers to correct any used vehicles in their inventory before they are retailed.

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like the fuel pump to me I have had trouble like that they try a lot of things and nevertake thenewparts off you just have to pay for them. Thanks Sam Davis

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    You need new plugs and plug wires.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    my stepson got a 2002 chevy s-10 brand new when he graduated high school. after (what i'm sure were very hard) about 10,000 miles it developed a misfire. he took it to the chevy dealership numerous times and they replaced the fuel pump twice. and plugs and wires, coils, and sometimes when he got it back it wouldnt miss for a few days. but it alwys started again with the same engine code. he finally got tired of messing with it and i bought it from him for a down payment on another truck. i had a mechanic friend that bragged that he could fix the da-- thing. so i let him try. after several attempts he was about ready to give up when he decided to change the injectors. the first injector that he pulled out showed the problem. a rubber o-ring that seals the injector was pinched and was sucking air. he put a new o-ring on it and problem solved.