Car Of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by bsu_catfisher, Feb 13, 2007.

1. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    There is a lot of talk about the car of tomorrow that NASCAR is using in 16 races this season. From what I have been reading that some of the tests are showing that the car is actually a tick faster then the current styles of cars.

My biggest problem is that the team skill is going to be taken out of the sport becuase of the way these cars are set up. But I also like that you will have to be a good driver to be able to compete with these cars.

What does everyone think about the new (COT)

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No skill taken away at all. Just as much work, time, and skill to build one. They should be safer, so that is good for the drivers.

The tough part is for the smaller teams that have to build and test two different cars this year. That is a major cost. The bigger teams can absorb it a lot easier.

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bigger, Safer, cheaper in the long run,all teams will have to start not knowing just what they will have. I think it will put some skill back in the drivers hands. A change foor the better. smokey

4. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I agree with both of you that it will put MORE skill back in the drivers hands and it will be safer. But the teams just can't do as much to the cars as they can their current cars...but it does put more skill in the drivers hands too. And the cost is goign to be awful for the small teams.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    More cow chips to throw on the fire.
    I dont know what it is but it aint stock car racing anymore.
    I'm really close to being a nonfan of the entire sport.
    I went from watching every race every year for years on end to realizing how bad it has gotten and claiming my life back last year with watching just a handful and halfway listening to others on the radio.
    I do imagine this will be the last season I keep up with any of it.

I cant say what I want to about NASCAR but I'll gaurantee you it would be the best paint stripper you ever used.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I really dont have an opinion yet, maybe after watching the first ones race then I might have some input

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark, I couldn't agree more. I have felt that way for a few years now...:crazy:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Early to rise, and early to bed, makes a man healthy but socially dead.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if nascar is not careful it will end up like IRL. not many fans and a small field of cars with only a couple of teams that can win. nascar is already to the point that only about 15 drivers can win and that is about 6 or 7 owners.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...nascar is already to the point that only about 15 drivers can win..."

Well I would consider that a vast improvement over years gone by.

"Back in the day" there were 5-6 that had a serious chance...and Richard Petty was three of them!!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    WHERE is Mr. Washburn on this post? Phil, oh Phil............

Well I stopped watching when Alan Kulwicki died near here. I did tape and watch part of the terrible loss of Dale, but did it for my son, who liked him. I live close to the 'fastest' track here and could care less anymore. I either stay in or leave town when the rabid fans hit town. Too many people and most are high on alcohol walking in the road like it's a cow path, not expecting to get run over. Not my kind of weekend.

Take care.
    Cheryl

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I was fortunate enough to be a Petty man as a kid.
    My great uncle loved David Pearson but the first race I ever went to he pulled for Petty. Petty won.
    It was my first race and the great uncle's last race. He died less then a month later from lung cancer and was cremated wearing a David Pearson T-shirt.
    You say, "man what a redneck he was"
    Maybe he was but he was also a foreign diplomat to Iran.:lol:

Now those were the days. When engines blew, they blew and you knew they blew. You didnt have to wait for a radio broadcaster to get word on what happened.
    I'll never forget Bobby Allison trying to take down the turn 4 wall at the Rock.
    The car burst into flames and careened down pitroad with a well done Bobby coming out the window at about 30 MPH.

I'll never forget spending time in Charles Hisey's huge motorhome outside of Rockingham as a kid as we waited for the traffic to die down after the race.
    "Son, anytime you see a yankee license plate go by key up dixie on the horn."
    There were a few of the old drivers that always made their way after dark to the Hisey motorhome with a friendly hello.
    Things you live with forever.

Hisey was the president of the Richard Petty fan club. He and his wife had a home in Virginia but travelled to EVERY race by motorhome.
    Great people.
    We're talking late 70's through around 1981.
    We had VIP seats at the Rock and VIP seats at Dover. We did 5-6 races a year.
    There was alot more race in racing back then

Remember ol JD McDuffie? That cat just loved the Rock with a passion. Seemed like every race there by lap 100 he was racing a modified. No fenders and no hood.
    JD was was shoestring. If you ever showed up to gawk at his meager operation in a small garage behind his house in Sanford, NC you would most likely be put to work getting his one car ready for the next event.
    One of the all time greats in my opinion. You dont have to win races to be great, you just have to have the deep love he had for the sport.

http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedZone70/40plus4.html