Car GPS Navigation help...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Pip, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Looking to upgrade my outdated delorme on the laptop for car navigation. Been looking at the garmins (255w) and TomTom's (XL330s) models. The more I look the more I can't decide.:confused2: Anybody have any hands-on or reviews of 2? I've read reviews online, but hesitant to rely only on those.

Any info or opinions will be appreciated.

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    a guy i work with has a tomrom, has had no problems with it so far, works great for almost 2 years

3. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't have that particular model but I do have a garmin 650 nuvi and I really like it, reminds you of upcoming turns twice and speaks the street name---which ever brand you choose I would reccomend getting a talking model. there are some real good prices out there right now--I got mine at costco online.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mike, why not update the Delorme for your laptop? I see they are now $50, I gave $60 for mine. Laptops have larger screens and more flexibility than those little portables.

I ordered my new AV last year with factory Navigation system. It's a lot more handy than my laptop with Delorme. But doesn't have as much flexibility and of course the screen is not quite as large as the laptop.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I thought about that Dayton, but my ancient 99' model laptop decided to take a crap. I liked the flexibility & configurabilty of the DeLorme software. But not sure I'm willing to spend the money for a new laptop or have this old one fixed. Since i quit driving OTR in 01', it only got used sparingly since.Have a friend that has a top of the line Megellan GPS, But I seen him having problems with navagating and holding satellites,Telling him to make u-turns in the middle of I-495 Beltway around DC. that would be interesting. NOT.:smile2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I bolded "speaks the street name" for a reason. Not all units do that, but it's a nice thing to have. It's little things like that that really differentiate the units.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I travel alot and have buddies that do the same closing loans. I have dealt with Magellan, Garmin, Tomtom, Navigon, and Mio. After seeing them all in action I hands down went with a Garmin when I got mine. They were around in the beginning and still around for a reason. Quicker re-routing and great choice of attractions no matter where you are.

I reccomend a Garmin, take it for what it's worth. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how it works for ya.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks, I decided to go with the Garmin Nuvi 255w. Just got it today in the mail. Been playing around with it here in the house getting familiar with it. seems pretty decent and easy to use. Gotta say Samantha sounds sexy as all get out when she is talking!!:smile2::smile2::smile2: Hope my wife doesn't figure out I'm taking another women fishing with me on my trips, might end up in the doghouse.