Car battery lead???

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Catfishboy1995, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Car battery lead??can i use it for weights?Whats the best way to clean it if so?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    This comes up often and you will find that it is not worth the effort. It wont be good solid lead, more mushy and unusable.

-Jim-

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    There is also much more to worry about than the quality of the lead. To just crack open a battery and melt down the lead is asking for a world of hurt. There is a lot of really nasty stuff in a battery. You are much better getting your core back for them or taking them to a place that will buy them to recycle.

I worked for 2 summers at a large scale plant that recycled batteries and there is quite a process to do it safely and cleanly.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    please.. please.... dont mess with trying to recover lead from batteries.... if you have never seen a battery explode your lucky!! sulfuric acid is not something to play with for a small amount of lead... please buy your sinkers or find a new source for lead.....

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    All the above answers to your question are very true. It is extremely dangerous to try and get lead from a battery. It isn't worth it. Stay safe and find other sources for your lead.

Try your local tire shop. Most will sell their old lead wheel weights for little money. Try junk yards.. sometimes you can get lucky and find one that will sell their lead for not too high of a price.

Don't give up on locating lead just be smart and safe about it.

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    there is a website on here you can buy sinkers cheaper than you can buy the lead stock. can't remember where it is but the name is A to Z somethingorother. i'll try to find it and post for ya.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    To make a long story short!! what little amount of lead you will get out of a car battery is not worth the effort it takes to recover it. There are much easier and safer sources of lead out there to be had.

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    that site is A to Z tackle shop. just google it. his prices are unbelievable.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    buddy you need to got on the catfish syndicate!!! there is a boc brother about to start selling sinkers 10% cheaper than atoz..... :wink: www.rockbottomsinkers.com will be up within a few weeks guaranteed 10% cheaper than the competition!!!!:crazy:

10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks Adam, i am a member but have not seen that post yet. was just on there this morning but will check again.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    paul has talked about it on his last 2 syndicate releases...:eek:oooh:

12. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Take a empty bucket to your local tire shop and ask them if they will save the old wheel weights for you. Most will and it is safe.

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    its a shame but with some of the new lead regulations and wheel weight manufucturers going to lead free weights they are getting harder to get ahold of...

14. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Link didnt work adam...it took me to one of those annoying sites!!

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The site is not open yet, but I know the guy who is doing it, he is top notch. Just give it a couple of weeks :wink:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  16. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I knew it wasnt open yet..but i thought the ite was up he just wasnt selling yet:eek:oooh::wink:

17. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Smartest post I seen. Batteries will disfigure your pretty little face forever, blind you, possibly kill you. Plus the lead quality sucks. I pour my own, usually using scrap lead that I trade for.

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I had one blow up in my face 22 years ago from over charging it . Had a headache for 2 days and the fear when that stuff hits your eyes relly scares the crap out of you . Lucky for me the worst thing was a headache .

Try getting led from a local tire shop . Or battery terminals from a junk yard .

19. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    hey little buddy,i'm affraid you got this idea yesterday from another thread about lead that i posted on.i was not telling anyone that they should burn car batt. for lead,1)you don't get that much,2)its dangerous3)theres better and easier ways to get it.i use to do it,but we were set up for it.don't ever try to burn a battery.i don't even do it any more.go to your tire shops junkyards ,shooting ranges,or maybe you no a plumber,but don't mess with the batteries.you'd be better off buying premade sinkers.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  20. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    GARY ,,THANK YOU..

but like i said the site will be up and running in a very short time .. i am in the middle of moving to a new house and trying to launch this at the same time... KEEPING AN EXTRA 10% of your cash in your pocket seems like a good reason to wait just a bit to place an order to me....:wink: