Car Audio Systems

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gofish, Dec 30, 2005.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Are there any electronic buffs out there? I would like some input about car stereo systems. I am going to replace my stereo in my truck and want to know what y'all think is the best quality I can get for limited resources.

Here are my thoughts and my budget:

-No more than $150 and hopefully closer to $100

-I received an XM radio receiver for Christmas and have it mounted and activated.

-I would like to add a small subwoofer in the future but it may not ever happen

I have done a little research and Pioneer seems to get very high marks across the board. The model I am considering is DEH-P3700MP. It seems to have the basics that I need and appears rather simple to operate (I don't need/want a bunch of bells and whistles). Does anyone have any experience with this stereo? Other suggestions?

I don't use the CD player that I have now very often and probably even less with XM. Since you probably can't buy a receiver without a CD player, I'm thinking that I'll probably go with MP3 capability as well. I like a rotary volume dial because I've had troubles with pushbuttons on other stereos. It's not a necessity but a druther. I like the KISS way of doing things. The less there is, the less there is to go wrong.

While we're talking music, does anyone else have XM radio? Has anyone used a home base or boom box base for it? What are your experiences? I'd like to have some way of using my XM in the boat. I'll make it work one way or other.

Thanks for any input!

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, XM radio came on our new AV...... love it, never on nothing but "Hanks Place"! :D

Also has a 6 CD player but don't need it with XM.... like you said.

Sorry, can't help you with your other questions.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    you can probally find a decent pair of door or dash speakers for about $100 ....pioneer are good speakers, although from what i have heard MB Quart make the best mids and highs.......now im not an expert but I have been messing with systems for a few years now, i usually have my buddy around to help me out........but if you want a sub, then you will surely need an amp, and probally even a capacitor......and with wires, fuse, and installation it gonna surely cost more then $150..........but you should be able to find a nice pair of mids for $100..........

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have a jvc in my truck has the rotary dial for volume plays mp3s cdrs cdrws etc it was 229 though as far as xm i cant helo you there as i dont have a desire for it myself pioneer stuff is decent sony is fair for my needs the jvc won hands down.

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thanks for the info guys! I'll have to take a closer look at JVC. I'm not looking to replace the factory speakers and if I add a sub, it will be a small, powered sub. Basically plug-n-play.

I'll do some more shopping.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Right now you can catch a good head unit on sale cause it is the end of the year. You should be able to find a, pioneer and even a clarion for that price on sale or even closeout. Check walmart to get best price on pioneer. Electronic express or circuit city for clarion. Jvc is an excellent head unit try and get the one with a remote, makes it alot easier. I fyou need any help with subs or amps, etc let me know I have installed a good amount of car audio. Not a pro but do a good job. I have 4, 12 inch subs, a 1000 watt amp for seperates fromt and back and a 1600watt amp for the subs. Also a 5 farad capacitor and all kinds of wire, rca cable, etc to install in one of my cars pretty soon. Also a cd, dvd, mp3, etc head unit going in also, I plan on getting another 1600watt amp, as each 12 holds 1200watts. Let me know if I can help.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I went to Wal Mart yesterday and compared prices to those of Buy it Now on eBay. I can get the Pioneer head unit, wiring harness, and mounting bracket on eBay cheaper than just the unit from Wally. I'm going to buy the Pioneer DEH-P3700MP. I'm going to stay with factory speakers for now. Thanks for the offer and the info! I may need some help when it comes time to install!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I checked into both before purchasing Sirius over a year ago. Sirius has more channels with no extra fee for certain stations. Sirius has NFL, Hocky, some College FB, Nascar in 2007, and of course Howard Stern on 1-9-06. Let us know what you think of XM though.

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    So far, I love the XM. I have listened to the comedy channels more than anything. I think that XM has NASCAR for 06. I was first introduced to satellite radio by a friend that has Sirius. When I told him later that I had XM, he was shocked. WHY?!? he asked. It was a gift from my wife. ;)

Once I get it set up in the house and in the boat, I'll be happy. I'll probably eventually have it in my office as well.

Tea, do you use any of the portables available for your Sirius? Or do you just have it mounted in your car? What model do you have? I have a Roady2.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have the Starmate model.

That is another reason I got Sirius though, I can listen to it on the computer while I am at home for free. XM has an additional charge if you want to listen to it at home. I listen to NFL network more then anything, but I do listen to comedy about every day also. Howard will be great when he finially comes, but the Jim Breuer show is great.

Good luck with the XM, but Sirius is the best. :p

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Hmmmmm...listen to your Sirius through your computer? That would be cool. There are home systems that allow you to use the same receiver in your house as in your vehicle. There is even a set of headphones that incorporates the antenna that allows the receiver to be totally mobile. But you have to have the headset. I will have my systems set up to where the same receiver will be used in all three places. It's just a matter of time.

Now, as to which one is better--I have very limited experience with XM and less with Sirius. Since I have XM, it HAS to be better! :rolleyes: Make the best of what you've got! :D