Captains Landing - Any fish this area of the Cape Fear River?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phillip puryear, Jan 21, 2006.

1. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    I was wondering if anybody fishes this area of the cape fear

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Very good area to float fish for blues right now. Get around very good with john boat. Only problem is finding acess to the river. People have trashed and abused areas we were using , a lot of the private land owners no longer allow any one to use their land . When they take out the Buckhorn dam you will be able to float all the way down from Avents Ferry on 42 ! Can put in at the Buckhorn dam but a little rough to get too.

3. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    We fish buckhorn a lot We have truoble getting through at the rapids because our boat is so wide. If you go down the right side of the river there is a creek that breaks off and goes 80 some yards and then back to the river but at the end there is a 2ft dropoff. Again our boat is to heavy to get back up it. Thats what I was wondering how to get in the landing. There was a guy on the old site that lives there but havn't seen any posts from him in a while.

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    I put my canoes in right below buckhorn dam.....once you go downstream past the islands the river opens up for aprox 1/4 to 1/2 mile.....then river begins to drop......this is know as buckhorn falls.......i have 4 canoes and have been canoeing since 1977.....i would not want to take a jon boat down through there.....i do not think you could get it back up........maybe someone has but under normal levels i dont think you could get it back up........just my opinion.........mack

5. phillip puryear

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the info Mack. We do have to get out and drag the boat in chest deep water sometimes. It is still to heavy to pick up and tote across some rapids. I used to work with a electrician that puts in kayaks and canoes at buckhorn and goes all the way to Erwin. He has seen our boat and said that we would never make it. I wish we had access to Captains Landing so we could fish that part of the river!!!!