capsized

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Steven Armstrong, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    has anyone heard anything about two fishermen that were rescued from kerr lake this morning after capsizing their boat this morning?

2. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    yep......i helped bring'em in.

i cant remember their names but i do know they are part of the pole benders.

i think one of their names was mike and the other was roger........their brother, nephew, and friend found them before i did. they were in the big white boat, he won from the kingcat tourney, and they waved us down as we were approaching........so we helped the best we could.

i dont remember exactly what he said happened but it had to do with the hydroelectric shift......i think...that and a wave.

they were in the water for a while, and were checked out by the emt.

cold but still with us..............i think the lord was with us all out there today.

3. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    just to clarify it wasnt the big white boat that sunk..

4. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    its good there still around and good thing people where there.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The good news is they survived the accident. God is faithful.

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    mickey he sure is! i allways take the Lord with me, you never know when you might need him!

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    He's DEFINATELY saved me on Kerr:wink: I heard they were coming down the shoot from Indian park and went to turn right at Davis into the open and a wave came over filled her up then another came and turned her over:eek:oooh: Jack spotted them cause one was wearing orange..heard they couldnt get them in the boat had to have assistance from others & coast guard ( the two guys weigh over 400lbs) I am sure they had hypothermia.....also heard the coast guard told them that in the past 15years when a boat rolled over they are the only ones that lived:wink: and they will be recieving tickets for over loading the boat on top of it all!!! We all get excited about the big blues on Kerr ....but we need to remember SAFETY 1st at all times no fish is worth dying for period:wink: Keep the boats cleaned out & clutter free & life jackets and throwables where ya can get them easily....emergency bilge pumps (clip on) besides the switch operated ones..you think 1- 500 gallon per hour pump will do the trick in a bind??? no-way...how many boats would stop up the bilge pump cause they dont clean the hull? People rag me all the time over this stuff i been there & know from experience....I am glad everone is alive and well.....everyone should check their boat before launching so it's not your last launch:wink:

8. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    great news that all were rescued. scares me to death when i see the tracker type boats with little free board out on kerr when the water temp gets below 60 or so. get sideways in the trough between 4ft. waves and you are going to swamp if you don't have enough free board. same will apply if you take one over the stern and you don't have a splash board with scuppers. coast guard aux. offer safe boating courses that are well worth your time to take and apply what is taught imo.

9. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    there was no coast guard involved at all ....... it would have been a big help though........

i came across them (jacks boat) at the mile marker to the right of the main cove coming from sallisaw landing..not the little cove that enters the big cove, it was on the lake!----like if you were headed toward looper hole.......over by the rock bluffs..........worst place to be----no bank to climb onto and shallowest water is 12' according to my fishfinder.....you could only see about 10-12" of their boat. when we first got there i thought they were all in one boat and had fallen in from the pounding waves...........at least they were pounding my lil boat.

yes they are some healthy guys..........when we got roger in my boat and mike in jacks -- roger was concerned about my lil bass boat (74"beam--16.5' long) being overloaded so my son and his friend got into jacks boat for the ride back to the dock.

the lake patrol was the last on the scene.........we already had them at the dock with the paramedics checking them out.....he had to go get his boat------------no help from the coast guard what so ever.........and barely 2 miles away.

i think the whole experience was enough -------- no fines should be issued..... i think we all took something from this.....i sure did!

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That's the second time Roger has went in the lake this year. It was Roger and Mike Chapman that went in the water and it was their brother Jack Chapman and his son Scotty in the white boat. In the panic Jack didn't think to call me, I was a couple miles up lake and could have come down and helped. The last tournament Roger hit a stump and filled his boat with water but managed to get it to an island before it completely sank, water temp's were 36 degrees that day, and 50 degrees Sunday. The good Lord has definately been watching over them, I've known them for years and they are good people. I heard they are on the look out for a pontoon boat now:wink:.

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'm glad they're ok! Did they lose the boat? I was on Foss Lake one time with an old "tri hull" (read - not wave friendly) 14ft fiberglass boat. The waves got up to 4 ft, I was scared out of my mind, and really didn't KNOW what to do, but I guess common sense was good enough to know better than to try an immediate turn for fear of getting the boat sideways to a big wave. We went at a 45 degree angle into the waves, and then, when I felt I had my best chance, I gunned it and turned to get my bow going with the waves. We took on a lot of water, my bilge pump was working overtime, I was drenched (and my buddy) but we made it. I also learned that you can be out on very big waves and swells if you are going WITH them, just slow your boat to the speed of the wave, and ride it home - I pray a prayer of thanks just thinking about it!

12. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    yes the boat was saved, i hear the lake patrol hooked onto the front of the over turned boat and up righted it pulling it. i`m guessing they lost their gear and maybe the engine, a small price as compaired to their lives that could have been lost as well

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Steven, the motor stayed on the boat but they lost all their gear. Jack told me yesterday that they planned on going today to try to drag around and find some of their rods and anything else they could grab with grab hooks.