Cape May, N.J. and some history

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Aug 24, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Took the family to Cape May New Jersey this week. I have been there many times over the years. First picture is of the Lighthouse that is located on the point of the Cape, second pic was takin from the top of the Lighthouse and shows the entrance to the Delaware bay and The historic town of Cape May point. Lots and lots of striped bass are takin in the fall here! The third picture shows the remains of a Beach head that was build to defend the entrance to the Delaware bay. The guns were located within the massive concrete structure and were capable of hitting any threat within 17 miles, keeping the entrance to the bay safe. The giant structure (Beach Head) was abandend after WWII, There are stories that the old concrete hulk is Haunted and people on the beach at night have heard strange voices and noises from it. Just thought I would post this for the folks who live far from the ocean!

Attached Files:

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thanks for posting. Nice pictures too. Enjoyed them.

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    The family and I went to Cape May in July of 2005, we had a great time.
    Here are a few pics
    First is a closer view of the bunker
    Second is my wife helping to launch my stunt kite
    Third is me, my wife and my first born son and brother in law

Attached Files:

• cm1.jpg
      cm1.jpg
      File size:
      23.9 KB
      Views:
    • cm2.jpg
      cm2.jpg
      File size:
      20.2 KB
      Views:
    • cm3.jpg
      cm3.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
  4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the pics! They have since boarded up the bunker. I remember when the bunker was out in the water, the beach has really formed back!

5. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I was told that they spent a million or so dollars rebuilding the beach by bringing sand in and putting in the over look pavilion.

It is a great place that does not get super crowded like the board walk area, also a good place for the kite.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for sharing the pics! Someday I'll visit a lighthouse, I hope.

7. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    I haven't been to Cape May in years! I would love to take Cleve & our girld there. Maybe we'll try on our next trip up to NJ when we go to see my dad.... That is if we don't go up for Christmas! Bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr... been there done the Jersey shore durring a Noreaster in Jan before... won't do that again!
    Lisa (born & raised in Cranford NJ

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sounds and looks like a very nice place

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Christmas is prime time in Cape May. All the Victorian Bed & Breakfast's are decorated for the holiday, very popular that time of the year.