Cape fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phillip puryear, Aug 23, 2005.

1. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    I forgot to ask on the last post but how far does everybody fish above hwy. 13 at riverside. Have heard people talking about rock wall but haven't seen it. The water was a 6-8" high last time we were there.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We fish up to and beyond the I-295 bridge depending on water level.

the rock wall is really a rock dam. It's roughly 150 yards or so above the 295 bridge.
    Watch the ripples on the water or change in the look of the water.
    You'll do alot of damage to a boat and motor around that dam so take it real real easy until you learn the turf. :eek:

3. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    You should try fishing that log jam at those RR crossing up a lil ways from riverside.Its a great place for big cats.

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    above and below riverside is a lot of nice places to try. i fish near rock fish creek and have done really nice. i have gone up to the rock damns and there are very nice cats in there to. i dont get up there much because i live down the river but there are nice place everywhere just be safe.

5. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    We have tried rockfish creek many times over the last couple of years and never had much luck. On aug. 13th we went about 1 mile above that rock dam. We caught one blue around 20-25lbs. We do most of our fishing down stream. Caught several above 40 lbs. We also found out that the best way to catch the big boys was to accidentally leave the camera and the scales at the house WORKS EVERY TIME.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    How has the fishing been at lock 2, havent been there for about 2-3 weeks. Last time I was there the water was up a couple feet, did catch a 21lb blue though.

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fiishing down here at lock 2 is great. some hit and miss but pretty good. hope to see you soon.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well I will have the boat with me this weekend if you want to go.

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sure come on. we can fish saturday nigt if want. i got enough eels. like 100 so we should be able to catch something

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would hope so, those cats really like them eels. I want to hook on to a monstor like in your picture there, now that would be something.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jaync don't forget to check out the Nc gathering thread. It's gonna be at the end of sept.
    Good fishing to ya!

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Fished the log jam. 3 of us on the boat using the same bait I caught 7, the other 2 fellas caught 1 a piece.
    I was casting downstream about 50 yards, letting the river take it another 30-40 yards and then stopping it.
    This was putting my rig right on the transition line from swift current to slow current.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I hope to go this weekend on the neuse and maybe the cape fear. I will try some of the log jams and some of the holes. hopefully i will hook into one of those big ones. i have to break the 21# mark.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    how do you get to the lock by fayettville, or how far upriver is it from lock 2 in elizabethtown.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Joe,

If I come down there will we be fishing above the lock or below it.

16. Southernraised84

State:
    There is alot of places to bank fish on the Cape.In fayettville you have right there at riverside, but your best bet would be to go to lock#3 that is the best and nearest spot to fay to fish off the bank.And i think the fishing license her eare only like 10 to 20 dollars no more then that.I have fished the cape for awhile and there are some MONSTERS here hope this helps if you have anymore questions just ask.

17. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How do you catch EEL in the cape fear river? I live about 3 hours from cape fear and have only fished the river 1 time. I heard EELs was great bait but never could catch any. what bait and how do u fish for them?

18. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well I appreciate the bait, we took 9 of them. I hope what I left you was fine. I think I am about to give up on that river this time of year. We drove 260 miles round trip for an 11lb blue, we didnt get skunked but it wasnt great either, now if I could only get you in the boat with me to show me the honey hole you are talking about. Later , Jason :) :cool:

19. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Jaync, we went a couple of weeks ago and fished with Joe. We only caught 4, the biggest was only 15 lbs, but we had a good time. We are going back soon on smaller boats, I saw some good looking log jambs and stuff. We were on a 24 foot pontoon boat so we couldn't exactly get right up near the bank. Joe is a funny guy to be around, he picked on us for bringing everything we had. There were 5 of us plus Joe, 12 rods and reels, a livewell with 45 bream, Joe's eels, a gas grill off the deck, 18 cheeseburgers, 2 watermelons, and a cooler full of drinks. We talked more than we fished, but had a great time. Joe also makes some neat weights too.

20. Southernraised84

State:

Hey miichaeal i am not sure how to catch eels on the river but i know if you live anywhere near Fayetteville you can buy them at Riverside off of highway 24 in downtown fayetteville.There is another place where you can buy them here in Fayetteville its on east Russell street at a place called stugart.I know a fellow member named Joe knows how to catch them and if i am not mistaken i belive there is a whole thread on it on the old site in the BOC libary.Hope this helps some