Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by BILLYP, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Who has been on the Fear lately??? Anything worth talking about???

2. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm new to the area and would like to learn more info on the cape fear river. Does any of you guys have a map that shows the public boat ramps along the cape fear? also i been reading about the locks/dams. Does anyone have a map where each lock/dam is? any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

3. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
  4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
  5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    got a friend that went to lock and dam 3 this past weekend and came back to say the fishin was slow, but he did see like a million beavers... lol

6. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Depends on where you are located in NC, Two ramps here in Fayetteville, one down on 87 south-East mountain drive(FREE), and one at Riverside Sport Center ($5.00 per day or $60 for a year) on Person Street. Other than that you can go onto google maps and click on Hybrid map, type in your city and find teh ramp nearest to you.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    where is this east mountain drive you speak of?, i've not heard of that one... lol... i keep goin all the way down to lock and dam 3 cause i refuse to pay $5 a day when i can launch somewhere else for free. other than the lock and dam i go all the way up to sanford at the highway 42 boat ramp... i live in spring lake, and my truck (1976 chevy k-10) only gets about 5 to 6 miles to the gallon pullin the boat, so i tend to not stray too far unless if i get my buddy to get permission from his wife for him to pull the boat with her avalance... lol... just looked for it on google earth, and its in the uncharted area on mine... so i can't really see it... i see where the road is though, and i may venture down that way one of these days to get a milage check and see where its at and all that... thanks for the tip

8. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    is riverside right on the river at highway 24?? ill pay the $5 any day if its a good place to leave vehicle. i dont like leaving my truck over night at some of those ramps.

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Ok if you see where East Mountain Dr is towards the lock and damn. Take that exit and make a left go back over 87 then you will be at a stop sign, driving range right in front of you. Make a right travel down until you pass Arnett Park on your left hand side after that youa re looking for a small white dimond shapped sign on your right hand side. The sign says wildlife boating access on it make a left at that sign (dirt road) travel down and if you dont run itno the water then you made a wrong turn.
    Any problems pm me with your address and i can give you better directions.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Yes, this is an excellent place to leave your vehicle overnight alot of cop traffic and wildlife officers stay over night at this place to catch people coming off the river with no license or an overabundance of fish.

11. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    sounds good i will plan to put in there and fish for the first time in a few weeks. any tips ? should i go up river or down? will be after Flatheads mainly but wont turn down a big blue.

12. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Go up river past two or three bridges- there will be one old railroad crossing bridge with timber covering one side of it, don't sit directly under the bridge but go off to one side and set up, ther are so many huge flatties down in there that you are bound to find one or two of them.

13. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    how deep is the river from ramp up to there? will a 90hp on a 20ft john boat be ok?

14. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fishing been kinda slow so far because of one of two reasons. first the heat and water temp and second lack of water. river is down a lot right now. grandpa says he has not seen it this low in over 40 years. we have caught some but not many big ones. most in 20 to 30 lb range. hope to see some of you soon.

15. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    It should that area of teh river ranges from 6-20 foot there is one sand bar on your left hand side after the second bridge other than that you should be good just keep it kinda slow and watch for submerged trees.