Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nobody fishing the Cape Fear River. Anyone got any reports. The heat has keep me in house.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't been but from what I have been reading it sounds like a trip i need to make. from 42 bridge on down to the locks

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    John I have fished from the boat ramp on N.C. 42 up to Jordan dam and up the Deep River several miles a couple of times the last two weeks. Caught a lot of small channels and a few small flatheads. Water was really flowing down the Haw from the Dam. Going again tomorrow if everything goes good. Its a lot cooler on the river anywhere than out on the lakes. Right now for me its not as much about fishing as it is about getting out. Still have to have someone to go with me but grateful to be getting out again !

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Fred, Glad you are doing better. Thanks for the report.

5. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Hey Fred I was thinking of going Saturday for flatheads. It will be my first fishing trip in NC. What is the chances of catching 20+ and better flatheads in that area?

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Fred I sent you a PM with my number and days/nights I am available to go those may change a little through the weeks but it pretty consistant right now. So call if you want to meet up, I might even be able to get Cruisenman if I still have his number to meet up also.

7. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    halifax, you have a real good chance, depends on what river you are fishing and how well you pick your spots

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    the best luck that i've had on the cape fear was at the 42 bridge... i was with some friends and we were using limblines... the whole weekend of the 4th of july there were only 2 flatheads caught on rod an reel... the biggest was 13 pounds... got a couple of blues, biggest being about 10 pounds... and alot of nice channels... and even more small channels... we were bank fishing... on the limblines we had gotten a bunch of nice flatheads, the largest being 28 pounds and just over 37 inches long... he was caught about half a mile down the river from the bridge heading towards the dam on the left hand side, we had rented a jon boat to set out lines in the main river, other than that, we were constantly pulling them out of the power plant cooling channel... even got a couple of blues on back there... i'd say, the 3 best looking places that i seen on the river without using a fish finder... 1. just above the dam in lillington where the power plant cooling channel enters the river. 2. at the boat ramp at 42 on the other side of the river, there is a little river/creek that enters the river, the other mouth of that is farther up river heading towards jordan dam. 3. either point of McKay Island... if you go up the right hand side, at the northern point of the island there is a nice bend... i'd try that.

i can't be too sure bout those spots, i don't have a boat to fish from yet, so i have to hike it to those spots if i were to fish them... if anyone can, try to fish those spots, let me know how they were.

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    me and my dad just got a bigger jon boat, and might try it, if we do, I'll give a report.

10. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    thanks for the info,went last night only managed two young flatheads.Started behind the jordan dam a little ways and worked down.Saw and fished some pretty holes just have to try again.

11. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Drove thur the parking area last night about 10:00. It was sure crowded ! I guess the heat has more people out fishing at night. Didn't see as many boat trailers as just pick-ups and cars. If everyone there had been on the river with a boat you would have needed traffic signals on some of the bends. The next time you are up that way look for a deep hole right where the Haw and Deep come together. Theres some kind of old pier that has partly fallen in. Usually a good hole when the water is right.

12. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Thanks for the insight Fred I'll check that out next time.I was thinking about going up the deep river some next trip and checking that out.Can you catch decent size shad in that stretch of the river? Was gonna try to catch some but forgot my throw net. In VA!

13. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I have a friend with a large farm pond that he stocked with gizzard shad and I usually try to bring some with me. I have gotten some up near the dam if I have someone with me I trust to run the boat. I fish out of a Carolina Skiff so I can get about half-way from where the rip rap starts to the concrete pier. You got to be careful and watch your depth finder because it gets shallow fast. Have been a long way up in there with my trolling motor if they aren't releasing a lot of water . Bream are easy to catch with worms and ultra-light and safer than getting the bottom of your boat or motor trashed. A lot of logs and limbs everywhere in the river up there anywhere to get hung on also. Have found a few at the boat ramp if not many boats going in or out. Have to get there early in the morning or late in the evening. Hope this helps some.