Cape Fear This Weekend

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Kittyhunter, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    So did anybody go to lock 1 or did everybody decide to go to lock 2? I know Joe had some people coming down to fish with him at 2. Joe, I was going to come but the guy that was supposed to go with me bailed and Ponykilr couldn't make it either. I didn't want to make that drive home late by myself. I was going to go locally,maybe to Goldsboro and had actually already caught some bait, but got out of the mood and released them. Oh well, maybe next weekend.

2. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Went down to lock 1 Thursday morning; fished till dark but really did nothing. The water there must really be salty now due to the low river. There is mullet jumping clear up to the dam. I saw a couple of dead crabs and could not catch any brim due to the salt water cat biting my worms. Friday night I went to lock 2 with Joe and Jaynec. They got a blue about 10 and I caught 2 blues one was 11 or 12 and one was about 5. Saturday morning I got an 18 flat, a 10 blue, a flat 4 and a blue 5. Had to quit due to back issues and Joe and Jaynec went upriver and did not see them Saturday...I had to come home. The flat was the best I have caught. All the fish I caught was at the dam. I think some more folks were coming Saturday night. I caught all my fish on cut eels. I know by Cape Fear standards those fish were a little small but it was a good trip for me even with the back issues.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    You did a lot better than I did, my biggest for the weekend was 13# blue last night at about 1:30am. It was a fun time, We went up river and didnt even get one bite the whole day, then we went and got something to eat and went back below the dam, but only caught the blue. I had another one on, but he wrapped up in something in that 50' hole and I couldnt get him free. All in all I had fun, too bad we didnt get a good rain upstate so they were biting better.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    So y'all found the 50 foot hole? We looked all over for it and never found it. The deepest water we saw was near the dam-46ft, but down river we saw some 34 ft, never any 50 ft. This was last weekend. Joe said he was going to mark it for us this week.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Its about 50' away from the lock entrance at about a 45 degree angle away the lock towards the center of the river.

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    rally had a good time and wish we could have caught more. we ran to some nice holes and found a lot of nice fish but no bites and that made me feel bad. cause everyone came from far away and i felt bad they didnt catch anythign big. maybe we can get some water and they will bite. but keep in mind that in april the shad come and so do all those cats to the locks and ready to feed they go. i hope have a lot come when they start moveing in and show you what is nice about cape fear. i will try to mark them this week kitty. have not had chance really. i have a map that i can show you all them on and it give gps cor. too. if you come down let me know i try to help you best i can ok. thnakx for all that came and hope to see you soon.

7. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    OK JOE and JAYNC.

Good to meet you all. Had a really good trip. Joe, I stopped at your house Saturday but the older gentleman there did not know where you where and my back was killing me so I headed back up north. The biggest blue I got Friday night was a little bigger than the one I got Saturday. Did not get to weigh the ones Friday night. Saturday morning caught all fish clear up next to the NO BOAT sign anchored right on the point fishing about the middle of the river. They all hit within about 15 yards of the same place. Joe you are right about those eels staying alive. I still had a live one when I left Saturday morning. Thanks again. :) Looking forward to doing it again.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It was nice meeting you also, too bad you had to leave early but at least you caught a bunch of fish. I found that place last night also, about 30' from shore just past that dam marker. I was throwing between 10-20' off to the left of the rocks. I think the fish were sitting right there waiting for something to come over the dam. I probably would have caught more but I decided to leave at about 2:30am. I couldnt stay awake any longer and still had a 2 1/2 hour drive back. We'll get more next time, I hope. It was still fun though.