Cape Fear Shad

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by breadboy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Has anybody been around the locks and dams or heard about the shad fishing lately?

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    any reports recently?

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My buddy McLean went last weekend up to lock 1 and caught his limit and Stretch caught two nice roe shad and McLean knocked about a 5lber off Stretch's hook right at the boat:smile2:

4. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Were they using sabiki rigs or darts?

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They were using whatever they had in their tackle boxes. They will hit anything at all if it's small and in front of their face. They caught them on Mr. Twisters, spoons, and McLean caught one on a 3/8oz jig head with a 2in grub on it, LOL!

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the replies. if anybody has any news as the season goes by, feel forward to inform others. do you think the season has just started?

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's in all likelihood almost over. I think that commercial fishing has to stop around the 15 of this month but I don't know how the recreational fishing will be after that.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yea i thought it was kind of late, and i havent been hearing much... guess this year wasnt the best year for the fear. the weather has messed up the river over the last week. my dad went to riverside today after work, the boat ramp dock was drowned under the high river, you couldnt see it. alot of debris (trees) were floating by as well.