Cape Fear shad

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Southernraised84, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Around what time of year do the shad start running on the cape.Im hopeing to get out there and get a mess of them this year. When they are not maken there run how do you know where they are is it a throw your net out and hope for the best can you see them moveing in schools or what?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    If you're talking about Hickory Shad, then they are already up in the river and you catch them on spoon's and stuff.

Or are you talking about a different type of shad?

Zakk:)

3. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Im talking about the shad that make a run up the river every year around this time of year. I belive its the gizzard shad.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Joe was talking about when he went yesterday and caught 9 in about an hour-don't know if he was castnetting or r/r fishing. So I guess those gizzard shad are starting to run. Just got to find how to catch good numbers of them. Joe was at Lock 2.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh maybe so, although American and Hickory shad run up river's every year from the ocean on a spawning run. I believe the shad Joe was talking about catching were Hickory or American Shad.:)

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    O maybe so. I just assumed gizzard shad but I was prolly wrong about that. Any way I need to find a reliable way to catch them for bait. I don't know if my week old frozen shad will work too well.

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we are useing american shad not gizzard. went last night and got a 30 plus pounder and a lot of smaller ones will post pics later today.