Cape Fear River?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by miichael, Jul 31, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone been fishing cape fear river lately? I am planning a trip down there i live about 4 hours away and I could really use any info/tips you guys have if you can help a brother out. My uncle lives in Burlington and im gonna stay the weekend with him and fish for 2 nights. Let me know if anyone been catching any.

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If i put in at the boat ramp off 42 how far up river can i go safe? I have a 16ft fiberglass boat with 70hp motor. Is the highway 42 boat ramp called riverside? Whats the average water depth from 42 up to where haw and deep river join? Also what lock is that below 42? lock1?

3. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    You can go up to the rip rap in the Haw River (right arm at the split) and under the last bridge to the rapids on the deep river (left arm of the split).

Riverside is near Fayetteville. The average depth for the Cape Fear to the split is 14-16 feet. In the Haw River arm the average is about 8 feet and in the Deep River arm the average is about 12 feet.

There are no locks up here. The first one you get to downstream is below Fayetteville (lock 3).

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If i put in a 42 bridge do i have a good chance to catch a few 30-40lbers? Or is it better on down towards fayetteville

5. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    When I put in at the ramp on N.C. hwy 42 I usually fish up river. The Old Buckhorne Dam is only 2 miles down river from the ramp. Could be some good fishing down that way just never have tried it a lot that way. Have better luck the other way but lately the bite has been off I guess because of the heat. You won't find many underwater obsticles anywhere as long as the river level is normal. I like to take it slow going under the bridges and tressels but its o.k. now. Was some concrete under the old tressel some years back but has been removed. Some good deep holes up where Deep River and The Haw come together but haven't been very productive lately. You can catch eatter size channels all over the place most anytime with shrimp, chicken liver, shad, shiners ( large ) or worms. I haven,t tried to eat any out of there in several years because the taste was bad. Up the Haw near the Jordan Dam I see a lot of dirty foam and scum that turns me off as far as eating the fish. Lots of shad and shad parts get tumbled thur the discharge at the dam and there are aleays something in there waiting for a easy meal. I've posted before that you can go a right good way up into the rip rap area if you are very careful but keep in mind the whole bottom is covered in rocks to keep it from washing away. Always use my trolling motor to go up in there and get back out. Set your depth alarm and use it. If you get up there about day light you do a lot better. Lot of people get some big hybrids on bucktails in the rapids and they claim some stripers but that is only rumors. Can testify to the cats though. Be ready because there are some good size cats, Blues-Flatheads-Channels anywhere between Buckhorne Dam and Jordan Dam if you find them and they are in a feeding mood. Good luck and let us know how you do. Any of us that fish this area are more than glad to try to give you OHO to whatever you ask. We need to organize some kind of get together somewhere around this area one of these days for the few BOC members that fish this area.

6. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    New to the area but the get together sounds good.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    If you go in the store/gas station in I think it's Duncan Junction on 42 you can see some pics of the monsters that have been pulled out of that stretch of river.

Not sure how they were caught could have been limb lining, jugs or rod and reel

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    finally got monies and getting tackle we need to fish soon. how about friday night john? let me know something

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Joe glad to see you got your insurance money and have started replacing your fishing gear. Maybe we will meet someplace fishing one of these days.

10. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    I wouldnt mind a get together too, sounds good, but this is a bad month for me, I have to work just about every weekend, but may be able to squeeze it in if I got a little bit of notice in advance.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Joe I'm actually hoping to try that stretch of river (42) this weekend, will "hook up" in a couple weeks for some night fishing....

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Be great to have a get together maybe at the 42 ramp since most people fish there. Just post on the board ahead of time so everyone can make plans and get off work. maybe 2-3 weeks in advance.

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that fine with me i could meet everyone and we could do a weekend thing if like. just let me know. sorry have not been on board much so much going on around here. i try and get info posted a little more soon ok.

14. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wheres a place to buy eels at close to 42 bridge?

15. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    not exactly close but fish box in erwin has em. about 25 mins away?

16. catnapper2006

catnapper2006 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fished from bank saturday morning early for 2 hours and caught 4 nice channels about 6 to 10 lbs a peice. was fishing at the huske damn south of fayettville.