Cape Fear River Water Quality

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by richinchrist1022, Jun 7, 2007.

1. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the cape is clean enough to eat the fish out of it. I don't want to eat contaminated fish and start growing extra limbs or anything:lol: Are there any environmental studies to show if it is clean, and if yes where can I find them. Thanks in advance for the help.:0a31:

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    if you drink city water you are getting it from the cape fear river.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    South and East of I-85 in NC

Women of Childbearing Age (15-44 years), Pregnant Women, Nursing Women,
    and Children under 15:
    •Do not eat shark, swordfish, tilefish, king mackerel
    bowfin, largemouth bass, chain pickerel
    •Eat up to two meals* per week of other fish.
    Other Women, Men, and Children 15 years and older:
    •Eat no more than one meal* per week of shark, swordfish, tilefish, king
    mackerel bowfin, largemouth bass, chain pickerel
    •Eat up to four meals* per week of other fish.
    *A meal is 6 ounces of cooked fish for adults, or 2 ounces of cooked fish for children under 15.

This is based on a study of Mercury found in fish tissues from NC rivers. Of course there are other metals, dioxins and various pesticides to consider.

Good rule of thumb is:

Predators like bass, flatheads, ect. absorb more contamination than forage species . Older, bigger fish have more time to accumulate poisons than smaller younger fish like brim, bluegill, and medium crappie.

4. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've never had any problems!!!!

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    With heavy metals by the time you have troubles you got REAL troubles. Look up Mercury poisoning on Google and do some reading. The effects are cumulative over time. It's not like a mushroom you eat and get sick or die in hours or overnight. It builds up over weeks, months, or years and then...........well read up a little.

It's a real shame our water ways and oceans are the nation's and the worlds sewers.

6. richinchrist1022

richinchrist1022 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I appreciate thye input and info on the rivers of NC. I will definitely keep that in mind and do some reading on it. Thanks again.:dribble: I don't want to end up like this guy!:lol: