Cape fear river question

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bearsfan, May 4, 2007.

1. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have done pretty good over the past month. I have caught multiple blues between 8 and 12 pounds. I am curious if 30 pound and plus cats are in the same area as the 10 pounders. My question is if you are successfully catching nice size cats do you need to just be patience or are the monsters in different locations? It seems like I catch a 10 pounder and then I can't get anything as large. How many cats are you guys catching out of one spot? I really want to get a monster and would appreciate any help. I am fishing down timber and a few current breaks in at wildlife ramp in lillington. I use cut Bluegill because it is readily available and free. Here is a pic of my recent 12 pound blue.

Attached Files:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It all depends on a lot of things. I have been to the cape fear about 7-8 times and my biggest cat out of there is only like 21lbs. Then I heard of a lot of big cats being caught on the neuse and I haven't been back to the cape fear since then. There have been times when I go fishing and dont catch anything, and then there are times when I catch 200lbs of fish. Its just one of those things. All I can tell you is the more you are out there, the better chance of hooking a big one.

3. bojuana

bojuana New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was just on the river last nigth, it was not a bad nigth but no fish over 15lbs. I can rember a time when I hardly ever went down to the cape and over the corse of the weekend and not land a 30 or 40lb fish.It maybe that I'm just not the fisherman that I was,or if you talk to some of the people that live there like Joe at lock#2 the biger fish are just not as many as in days past.For what ever the reason,don't fill bad that you have not got that bigfish just keep trying I'm sure theres one or two bigones there. p.s. we fished today till we ran into some shockers after that the fishing realy goes downhill.

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    one real reason there are less fish are shockers. i believe. they have no limits and dont care about size. any and all fish a re kept. even the large breeding pairs so thus not one small fish will be produced for future generations to catch. i try to release fish now and try to get other to also. you know it makes me feel good to have my daughter with me and her see me let a 30 or 40 lber go and say daddy we get to catch him again not man we get to eat him. that just my take on the thing

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One suggestion I have is to use bigger chunks of bait. This has paid off for me in the last two weeks. I believe it keeps the smaller fish from messing with the bait until the bigger fish can find it. Hope this helps.

6. carolina hit man

carolina hit man New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    i have fished the ramp you are talking about and have caught some big fish there 2 years ago down the river a little ways is a small hole that you can catch a good size fish in most of the time i have caught most of the bigger fish on live bait shad bream eels but the biggest was right across the river in the small creek that feeds in to the river there 36lb flat good luck

7. ltlcatman

ltlcatman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wish i could help you but im new to the area myself and never fished there YET im in broadway maybe we could hook up an find out together lol