Cape Fear River - First "Winter" Blue catfish!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Nov 22, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out on the Cape Fear river near Wilmington about 9 this morning. First time on the river with the new deep-V. It worked great. Anchored great in the current and wind which was great. Only caught one blue, about 10lbs but it was my brother's first blue and we got one on our first trip. We fished all new spots up river. Saw a bunch of fish on the depth finder in a few spots but just couldn't coax a bite out of them. It was fun to get out there. Trim on my boat messed up on the way home:confused2: Got to the house and the trip was all the way up, I dunno how I didn't lose my transom saver but I got it to come down a little and then it just crapped out. Gotta get that fixed. Oh well, got one in the boat. Just have to do better next time.

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    congrats on the fish. for your trim problem, check your relays, they are cheap to replace, and if its not them thats bad, check your switches. when i had my boat i had that same problem, it turned out being the switch in the front of the boat on the trolling motor power plate, switches go bad with no notice... lol

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates on the catch. on the motor if you have trouble again there is a big flathead screw that you can turn and it will let the preasure off the hyd. and the motor will go down. we had a little trouble at santee with the trim switch on my dads boat this year. switch was not working under the motor cover. the points was sticking in it. i think his had three switches and your does too i would think. his was mec. we could tap on the switch and it would go back to working on his. im not a mechanic but went to one and he showed us about the screw in a emergency. when we got home he replaced the switch. hopefully yours is under warr. since its new. again congrates on the first catch.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    10lbs!!! Jay called me that night and told me you guys got one near 20!!! lol
    That's Jason for you though. What happened with coming out for the reds? I would have guaranteed a fish that time frame. The winds were wrong, but the fish were there anyway. We even caught a few shorties on the inside, and a few decent trout.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I got my trim fixed. Both the switches were bad and the small breaker had burnt up. The switch went out which I assume caused the trim to go all the way up and continue to run which in turn burnt out the breaker. All in all it was an easy fix. Nice to have a dad who can figure that kind of crap out in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the info guys, that and a volt meter was all that was needed. Sure am glad it wasn't bad. I'll be out there Sunday, I'll let ya know how it goes.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Wes, are you fishing the Cape Fear or Northeast Cape Fear when you say up river? I'm getting ready to start fishing some holes up by Castle Hayne and Lains Ferry real soon. I was just waiting for the water to get cold.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We were fishing in the Cape Fear. We'd never gone as far up as we did the other day. Found some nice holes and some creeks that looked pretty good. I think we're going to hit it up Sunday. I'm hoping to get off of work early enough Monday to go fish Sutton.

8. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tried lock and dam 2 for the first time this weekend. Got three strikes with one to the boat. caght my first winter cat as well, weighing 11 pounds. Missed a nicer one and another probably about the same size. Water is getting cold up there!

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Went out today on the NE Cape Fear River. The boat wouldn't start I'm hoping that it's the batteries that were the problem. Went and fished off of a public fishing dock. Got one blue on fresh shad and had a few other small hits. The blue was probably around 5lbs. At least we didn't get skunked.

10. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    FOR SALE millitary green kellogg crank tellephone never fished with 5 bar magnito. never fished with MOST OF THE PEOPLE POSTING DO NOT KNOW HOW THE LAW IS
    WROTE (HAND CRANK DEVICE) HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER CRANKED ON 1 OF THESE IT IS NOT NOTHING LIKE A GENNARATOR RUNNING WITH LEADS
    20 FEET APART