Cape Fear River Dam Proposal

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Hunter88, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Catfish_Hunter88

Catfish_Hunter88 New Member

State:
    Raleigh, North
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I saw that the other day but there is another option that I dont think will ever fly.
    The other option is knocking out two of the dams completely.
    One dam, I forget which would have to be left in place to keep enough water for the municipalities drawing from it.

The reason i dont think that option will fly is Homeland security.
    Its a major river supplying water to southeast NC. Thats alot of people.
    Homeland security wants it patrollable by boat from Oak Island to Fayetteville in case we go to a very high threat level.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Take out the dams unless someone can prove they are required. If a city or company wants to adopt one of the dams let them help pay for the fish ladder to allow fish to pass.

This should be policy nationwide.

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    I think the fish ladders are a great idea, i hope they go through with it.

the removal of any of those dams would reduce the cape fear to a trickle and ruin the fishing

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    homeland security is the issue. People dont see the need for the dams because they dont look much further then the dams themselves.
    You figure the river has been dammed for 75 to nearly a hundred years and what has been built TO the river it's entire length, including the city and county planning departments that have had to build and plan TO the river.

Now you drop the river. You are talking about millions of people, not just industry being effected.

The dams today are kept up primarily by homeland security.
    It is prime for a terrorist attack because of two things.
    The number of people it supplies water to and the major eastern corridor called I-95 crosses it.
    I highly doubt you'll see these dams go anywhere. They wont go anywhere without the approval of homeland security and they aint budging. They want it navigable by Coastguard and Coastguard auxillary vessels from Oak Island to Fayetteville.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'd love to see the ladders in place. I'm ok with the dams, but they need the ladders...

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    stripers will not use a ladder........herring , american shad, hickory shad....carp, catfish but tthe least likey fish to go up a ladder is the striper......if those dams came down the cape fear could one day rival the roanoke in striper runs............also sanford fayetteville and others could still take water out with minor adjustments.............go look where smithfield takes water out of the neuse.........its not deep....no dam...and the neuse is a lot smaller that the cape.......all they would need to to it do llike smithfield does .....mack...also wilmingtons argument is that salt water would get in their pipes.........the olny time salt makes it up to that dam is during a #3 hurricane surge..........shut if off them......or put some more pipe in and go up the river a few miles and do it like smithfield does....heck, wilmington has all the water they need just east of them...we need to think about the fishery.......the cities will survive...they just dont want to spend any money...

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    forgot about this mark...they have been talking about talking out locks 2 and 3 and even buckhorn but leaving the bottom dam with a long fish ladder that sweeps away the back up to the river so the incline wont be so much.......i think they are working on the ladder now...if someone has realtimegoogle earth see if you can see it and post....thanks mack

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Homeland security. :roll_eyes:

My hometown police department, eight or nine officers I think, they have a SWAT team thanks to "homeland security". :roll_eyes:

I can list millions of other dollars spent in my county alone that was made possible by "homeland security". :roll_eyes:

Anything is possble when you attach "homeland security" to it. :roll_eyes:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wyliecat, patrolling the Cape Fear river is nothing new. It's been done for years from Oak Island all the way to Fayetteville primarily by the Coastguard Auxillary. Now they have additional funds to do a better job of it and to boot the additional funds also play into the river itself as in removing snags, trees, and other objects that would otherwise block navigation because of no or low funding.
    As for police departments. It's greatly helped the smaller towns with funds for equipment and training that they would never have gotten otherwise.
    All around the citizens are better off.
    Crime doesn't limit itself to metropolis areas with large tax bases and well financed police departments.

11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I've only been through the locks 1 time, years ago so I'm not that familiar with how they work but I've been around lock #1 a good bit, fishing around it in the 90s a great deal. It seems it would be easier to have the right personel at the locks and monitor those going in and out than to try to patrol the whole river.

at Lock #1, the only way to get a vessel of any size up river would be via the locks unless the river is really high.