Cape Fear River Catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by sosa23, Oct 4, 2009.

1. sosa23

sosa23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have heard that there are some nice cats to be caught on the cape fear river. Well since I have never fished a river before for cats, I was wondering where might be the best place to make my first attempt. I live near Fayetteville so I really dont want to drive too far. I heard that between the Jordan dam and where the river enters Fayetteville that there are some good spots. I do have a boat, but not sure about placing it on the river since it is a fish/ski boat (not sure of the depth of the river). So i guess I will be fishing from the back. ANt help is greatly appreciated.

2. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if u have a big deep boat would put in at riverside on person street and go down you can go up but the river gets shallower the further you go up when you see the 295 bridge the water will be 3 ft or less and if you pass bridge there is alot of boulders and a rock ledge that runs across and many more rapids above that but down from there to the lock plenty of deeper water good luck

3. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    as matt said....put in at riverside and go down.........the fishing gets better after you pass monsanto.......the further out of traffic....the better the fishing!:wink:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Rafael

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Welcome to the BOC man, wish I could help ya but I've never fished up that way. I'd listen to Matt and Kevin though they fish up that way a bunch.

6. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    welcome to the boc i,m just like you on that end of the river (lost )but if you get down toward wilmington give me a holler and we will hook up

7. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Hey Sosa,

I sent you a PM. I live in Fayetteville to and have been on the river a few times now but I'm new to catfishing.

The water in the river is plenty deep (8-10ft) from riverside on south, and I hear is gets shallow up near 295.

Let me know if you want to go fishing some time.

8. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    true the water is plenty deep..........but after you get passed the gravel pits it tends to deepen up...........after the double docks its an average of 18 to 20

9. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    My dad caught a bunch of nice channel cats last week from the Dupont plant down to lock #1 on spinner baits. While working his working partner is a bass/panfish guy so he fishes for what ever his partner wants. They also caught a-lot of Bass and a few Bowfin. He also said the butter bean shad were thick last week covering the water surface.

10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    not trying to cause a situation or anything just trying to clarify so others dont get confused!
    the 1st lock down from the dupont plant is lock #3........lock #1 is actually about 60+ miles further down river at regalwood! only about a 3 to 5 mile stretch between dupont plant and lock #3! good fishing through there though........im glad to hear the channels were biting..........an older wiser fisherman once told me where you catch channels at during the day.......you will flatties at night! ive often found this to be true!.........thanx for the info chris............:wink:

11. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Flathead Reaper they collect water samples from the river and stay for 2-4 days. They sample from the head waters all the way down to Willington. Last week they were in the whole streach from Dupont plant to the up stream side of lock #1.

12. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    gotcha chris......they get to fish while working..........:smile2: how did they do specifically around the dupont area?

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Kevin from what I understand he caught them from all over the river, not sure how many they caught at Dupont but will ask him. He has told me about a real deep hole at Dupont though. He was at lake Tillery last week and there was a 55lb blue caught that day.

14. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    yep......know about the hole.............theres some good fishing down there.............

15. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Kevin he said they did not catch any from Dupont the other week. Most were comeing off log piles. This week they did not catch any catfish just a few bowfin and bass. Good Luck