Cape Fear River Blues

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Jan 27, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My buddy Jason and I went out today and man did we have a good day! We caught 23 blues. None of them were large with the largest being around 7-8lbs, but it was really a ton of fun constantly reeling fish in. They were seemingly everywhere today. We caught fish in every spot we fished. The wind was a bit rough and we couldn't fish some spots but it didn't seem to matter much. Caught all but two of the on shrimp, the other two came on shad. Tried eel and only got 1 hit on it. They came from 3-40+ft of water. Well, going tomorrow to see if we can get a biggun' this time.

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What's your secret to keeping Jay on the water? He got cold yesterday...if there is any wind he's usually complaining so much that I'm ready to go!!! lol Did you guys take your boat or his? That might be the difference right there. Did he tell you about forgetting to raise his motor before pulling the boat up the ramp yesterday??? lol

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, he showed me the scrape all the way up the ramp:smile2: He was getting a little pooty, but I just have to stay positive and keep him out there. We took his boat. I'm going out tomorrow in my boat so he said he had gas.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm still itching to get a big one down there, my best is 15lbs so far, I know they are down there, Jay swears the bigguns aren't in that stretch of river. Glad you guys had a good day though...I'm surprised that Jay is coving gas, he's asked me for gas so much I've probably paid for your trip! lol

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like fella that USED to go with us to the river.
    If he didnt get a bite every 20 minutes you were ready to tie an anchor to his ankle and push him overboard by 10 o clock

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There's some giants in that stretch of river. In my opinion there is certainly a 100+lb blue in that stretch. There's just too much food of all different kinds for there not to be. Have ya ever seen a skinny fish around there? There also aren't any bush hookers down this far so I think that has a lot to do with the good population of fish.

7. monk

monk New Member

State:
    south carolina
    crowded is the river in march on the weekends?

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah, that's part of what I think too, and there is just SO MUCH water for them to hide out in, there isn't any doubt that there are big ones down there, oh, that and I've seen pictures of some of the fish brought out of that stretch! lol

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, got back out there today and tried to get some bigger fish than yesterday. We did just what we set out to do. Fished some of the same spots as yesterday and got 1 small blue and some eels. My buddy caught a nice black drum as well! When the tide started going out we headed up river and found some bigger fish. First spot we fished had two break off and McLean missed one. Then I caught my first river flathead!! Caught it on the bait rod with a little piece of shrimp about the size of my fingernail. He was about 10lbs. Then moved to another good spot and caught about a 20lb blue and missed another. Moved to the last spot and before we could even get all the rods out McLean got a 10lb blue and then a few minutes later I got a 5lber. Went to move again and the anchor was stuck, we messed with it forever and ended up having to let the river have it:angry: Oh well, that's the price you pay. All the fish were caught on carolina rigs in ~30-40ft of water and the 3 larger blues came on big eel chunks.

10. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Alright, I'm out from Cary, NC; so over here, there's not much great catfishing game until you explore the other cities and towns. I only started fishing at the Cape Fear last saturday using live minnows. That'd worked surprisingly horribly. I'm used to using everything from shrimp to stink to livers, and even bacon. I can't believe nothing went after the minnows.

I don't have access to a boat... well, correction, I do, but I drive a Dodge Caravan (I know I know...) and have no means of hauling along my friend's john.

Of the two time's I've fished there so far, I have not seen a single fish. I've seen multiple splashes but not the fish themselves. I'm used to hoisting in rather large amounts of cat out of Bass Lake from a boat...

What're we doing wrong? Because of our inability to fish from a position that's far from land, we're trying to make due with what's been given us - the plot of land designated as the boat ramp. We have expanded from there, cutting back into the trail that divides the creek on the eastern side of 42 and have found many other places where others have been and tried fishing there...

We can't seem to catch anything. What seems to be biting and producing the results we hear from the guys that run the baitshacks? Where are other locations that we can access from land that will provide a better opportunity for catfish? We thought about heading out to that island looking thing that splits the river upstream, but we never were able to get that far on foot.

We plan on going out tomorrow around 3 PMish... Probably won't get there until 4 because it's a 35 min. drive for us.

But out of all desperation, what's the bait we should be going with? We have the lines, reels and rods that can take just about anything, but nothing's going for our bait... It's so frustrating.

Oh yes, and one last question, my friend was wondering if it is legal to camp out where the boat ramp is because we've found many recent hastily-resurrected fire pits...

Thanks in advance!

--Arojekt.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't know much about that area up there, as the area I fish is right on the coast basically. But some of the same rules should apply, minnows might work, but they're not going to disperse sent that well, especially this time of year when the water is cooler. Get some shad or catch some sunfish and cut them into chunks, fillets, or strips, depending on the size of the bait and what's working, fishing these on a typical bottom "fish finder" rig should work fine.

Also, what do you know about the stretch you are fishing, for instance, depth and structure. If there's not much there, it may just not be a good holding spot for winter cats, but don't rule it out, there are plenty of cats in the river, between the channels, blues and flatheads. Not to meantion plenty of other fish that will take your bait.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your next trip and keep the brotherhood up-to-date!

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go man! You guys go all the up to the area Jay and I were looking at, or even farther than that? Sounds like you need to get a break-away anchor. Jay must have gotten rid of his with the pontoon because he didn't have it on the boat the other day.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We actually went up river the other way. We fished yesterday where you guys went. I had caught some nice fish up there last week so I decided to try there again. It seems like the bigger fish are up that way, but it's a run. Not something that would be too fun in the rain:smile2:. I've got a little larger windshield than Jason but it still would stink. I was hyped about the 20lber and especially the flathead! That blue was my biggest this year.

14. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    The location I'm fishing from is about 2 miles upstream from the Buckhorn Dam. From what I could tell based on observations of how my line sinks and what tension I can feel in the water, it has a very unstable, murky, and littered bottom with leaves, wood, rocks, etc. Even with a circle hook buried inside the body of a fat minnow, it still gets caught up. In Bass Lake, we'd go bottom rigging with treble hooks on steel leaders, but I'd dare not do that here. It's just asking to get caught up on the bottom.

Depth wise, I'd say that there's about 20 to 25 feet of water in the very middle of the river, however the depth quickly transitions more than you'd expect it to, as you cast closer to the shore. It's as though it has a 5-25 foot drop immediately after you pass that "certain point".

I mean, out in the far, hard-to-reach parts of the river from a shoreline cast, you can see the little bait fish jumping around as their schools are attacked by bigger predators, however they never come up to the shore, so not only does it make it damed hard to use a cast net, it's even more difficult to reach them and try with a hook (for blue gill).

Also, I'd like to thank Fatflattie for his attempt to give me a hand via PM, because I cannot PM him back... some rule about having ten posts.

The place I am fishing is just inside of Harnett County. In fact, if I can, I'll post up an image regarding exactly where I am. It's just southwest of where Cornith Road and Highway 42 intersect. A picture will help you guys better...

Well, after giving up on the auto-picture-uploader thing that is already put into the form thing that you fill out for your post... I've just hosted it on the net at the following two URLs:

1. http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5751/first1kc6.png
    2. http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6776/second2yj4.png

Please, the first one, zoomed out, shows a red box. That red box indicates where we usually fish from. The blue box, indicates where Buckhorn Dam is. In the second image file, it's a zoom up of our fishing locations and the boundaries we've extended as far as are shown in red as well.

I hope that helps establish our fishing environment.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a couple of fun trips Wes. Congratulations and thanks for posting :cool2:.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Zach, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Zach it's probably a good idea to start your own thread...you may get more help....

as far as above buckhorn...there are huge flatheads and big channels...but as you eluded to it's very difficult to fish from the bank...but one of the boc members limb lined a 50 plus out of there awhile back...

if you have to fish from shore fish below the dam...there is a huge clearing where allot of people camp and hang out....you can wade out and catch shad below the rapids and there are plenty of big cats in that area...including blues..

a little down river in Lilington there are allot of bank spots to catch cats...big ones to...i seen a picture not to long ago of a 62lb. blue...

hope this helps good luck!!!

18. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

19. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Would shrimp work well down at the bottom end of the dam? Also, to get to that dam, I'd assume you take Buckhorn Road from 42, right?

Thanks again.

20. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    This weekend I put in at lock 3, Tolar Landing, and went 15 miles down river. I got some bites but no fish in the boat. Is that a good stretch of river for blues? The deepest hole that I found was 28-29 ft. Is there deeper water farther down toward lock 2? I thought that the river would be deeper than that down there. I have heard that there are blues in that part of the river. Just trying to confirm what I have heard not trying to milk spots. Thanks for any information.