Cape Fear River 7/11/09 1st catfishing trip EVER on a river!!!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by nccatgirl, Jul 13, 2009.

1. nccatgirl

nccatgirl New Member

State:
    NC
    Saturday night is a night I will never forget. It was my very first trip catfishing in a boat on a river. We hired a local area guide named Kevin Jackson and went out onto the Cape Fear River. We fished from approximately 8:00pm to 8:00am and only caught 2 catfish. I caught my new PB with a 10lb Blue and my spouse caught a PB with a 5.5lb flathead. We fished all the way down to about 10 miles from Wilmington and back to lock #3.

We hooked a few bigger cats near some log jams but they ran straight into them and got hung up. I know Kevin felt bad about us only catching 2 cats but it seems everyone else wasn't catching much of anything either. I have to admit being on a river at night for the first time was pretty scary especially after seeing so many gators.

Kevin has a great 2072 Lowe Roughneck boat and he is a walking encyclopedia of catfishing knowledge. It really felt like a privilege to get to go out fishing with him. He said that the river is at the lowest level he has ever seen it and he has lived nearby his whole life.

When the river gets back up we will try again and see if we can get more action and land some big cats. It was truly a night to remember and we are definitely hooked on river catfishing. I can hardly wait to get back out there. Now I just need to find someone willing to take us out on the Neuse River which is closer to where we live.

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on a great trip! That'll bring you back for sure!

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh and WELCOME TO THE BOC!

4. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Congrats .......

5. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrats on the pb's ,and the great trip . Sounds like your hooked on river fishing .

6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    thanks for the kind words nichole......we will go back out soon.......i promise! we still have some low PB'S to beat! THanks again!

7. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    yup you did good since nobody was really catching much and there was a tourney down there this weekend that i heard didnt do much either...congrats on the PB's :tounge_out:

8. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Alas , I too will have to partake in the Cape Fear's offerings...sans alligators!!:crazy: