Cape Fear River 11/23 - Flathead Catfish and Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Nov 23, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Britton, Randy, and myself got out on the river for our first blue trip of the fall. Couldn't catch any eels, but that ended up not being a problem:wink: The first spot we pulled up on we got a 15lb flat and 20, 24, and 14lb blues. We fished a few more spots with no luck then we ended up getting a few more totaling 9 all together. As always Britton got the big fish:smile2:

Randy was trying out some new rods he built and I have to say he did a wonderful job, they have a great action, cast well and should handle any fish he gets on the end of one. He also tried out a new rig which worked out pretty well too!

We got most of the fish on crappie and bream with one coming on shad. Three way and Carolina rigs were what we used and the fish came in "shallower" water from 10-15ft. Tried some of our deep spots but they came up empty. Good day on the water!

Attached Files:

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    really nice fish guys i am starting to get back into it soon. with the kidney fight and all had to wait but have been told i can now by docs.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great report, thanks for sharing with us

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad too see yall got back out there and that is a nice bunch of fish. Did you catch the flatty on cut bait?

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yep James, we got the flathead on cut bait and we also got another flathead about 5lbs on cut bait. We usually get a couple flatheads when we're fishing for blues. Most of them are small, 10lbs or less, but we occasionally get a nice one over 20.

6. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    nice cats fellas hope to get a few this weekend when Icome down to vist

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You wouldn't happen to be Randy's brother.

8. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Thanks for the report FATFLATTIE....I gotta go catch something now.....Ok... I usually donate more bait to the river then fish I catch...but its fun anyways.

9. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    yep I am Randy,s brother hope to get to meet you while I,m down there.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'll see if I can't get up with you guys while you're down. I know Randy's planning on taking ya to the Cape to try and get a few cats over the weekend. I gotta work Sat. but I'm off on Sunday. I just don't know if my brother is still going to be here then or not.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My brother Rob and I hit the river this morning about 9:30. Was a good day on the water. We ended up with 6 blues and 1 flathead. They were all under 10lbs but we had a bunch of bites all day to keep us interested. We got all the fish from 1-4ft deep on a little flat below a creek mouth. That was really pretty neat, I'd never caught blues that shallow before. It was cool seeing them roll on top right after the rod goes over! May try and hit it again tomorrow.

Attached Files:

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Here's a few more.

Attached Files:

13. hotwhelz

hotwhelz New Member

State:
    NC
    looks like another good day. what bait did thay hit this time ??

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    5 on shad, 1 on wild shiner, and one on a bream head.

15. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    i hear you wes.....get out there and give us another report! im off to the woods to try and get some meat for the freezer!

16. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice day there Wes. Congrates

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well we got back out today at about 12:30. The fish weren't biting as good as they were yesterday but the size was a little better. We got my brother his biggest blue a 17lber! I also got my first fish on a bobber!!!!! I even got a bonus striper:smile2: Pretty neat stuff. Once again most of the fish came in less than 5ft of water and Robs big fish was in probably about 1.5ft of water. Randy, his brother, and his dad were out there too, they had a pretty decent day on the cats too. I'll let him fill ya in on his day.

Attached Files:

18. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    got out yerterday dad .my brother and myself about 9:30 fished up river till after 1:00 then came down and got up with wes & rob our day wasn.t as good as theirs dad got 5 small fish , strawberry got 1 , me 0 .dad also got a nice blackdrum. went again today with my bro.and 2 friends from gastonia we ( they ) caught 5 all together with strawberry getting 1 nice one 13 lbs 12 ounces blue also got 1 blackdrum & 1reddrum ( 19inches ) just a little damp today but not to cold to fish going back in the morning for 1/2 day will let you know how it goes we got a picture of the big cat but no cable to get it off my nicse,s camera so she will add it latter sorry

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks like y'all are tearin' 'em up on a regular basis! Great job!
    Bill in SC

20. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fished to fear yesterday with all that wind. found that smith creek was relatively out of the wind and fished a few spots that looked good to me. My buddy caught a 10 lber and we lost a few. there is alot of concrete in that creek near all of the bridges. i lost 5 rigs out there in about an hour. i did find a spot that will be great with slip bobbers though. i have the feeling it is just slabs of concrete down there, so the cats have good hiding spots to ambush from. hope my theory is right. Anyone do much fishing in smith creek? that was only my second time in the creek.