Cape Fear River 08/29

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Aug 29, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Got on water about 9:00 am out of Riverside in Fayetteville and went up river. My buddy bass fished a while and I caught some brim for bait. We caught several catfish less than 6 inches long (on worms). My buddy hooked one (nice) that got off on cut bait. I hooked gar (did get to see him) and THEN I hooked into a big fish (live bait) he went around A log and broke line after minute or so. It was a very large fish sure would have liked to have landed him. heat drove us off water about 1:00 pm my friend recovering for cancer treatment so we came in so he could rest.

2. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like you had an exciting morning. Sure would've been nice to get that big one in huh?

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    glad to see you had some action, i know last weekend at nite wasnt hittin on much of nothing, i fished the sand bar just up from the ramp and caught like 2 really small ones, and had a snake trying to get in the boat, then went down river before you get to the ramp of the right and again like 3 small ones.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hunter, we were up at Railroad bridge on downstream side. That is third time my friend and I have hooked into fish there we couldn't stop. He was not on one of my biggest catfish rigs but he was on nice catfish rig and I though he was going break the rod just before the line parted. It was fun while it lasted. I will try again another day. I guess after the hurricane.
    It's always good day when you can get on water.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Its been awhile since I had something hooked I thought would break my rod. Sounds like you are having a good time though. Thanks for shareing your trip.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats where I hooked my 10.5 gar :smile2: , good spot. looks like a nice trip. school has kept me away from the river, I need good grades to get a good job.

7. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    yea that rail road bridge is a good spot, I was planning on goin up there that night, but this idiot came down the river and instead of goin on the left side of me to get around the sand bar, I set up above the sand bar on the same side so i could keep the passage way clear, well he decides to come blazing down through there with about 20 feet between me and the bank, well needless to say his boat came to a halt with a quickness, HAHA, after about 15min. he managed to cut 3 of my lines with his prop and finally get off the sand bar, so i just packed up and went home. But another good spot you guys may wanna try is Rockfish creek, its a good ways down the river, its a big creek mouth that comes into the river on your right side. Ive had good luck down there too.