Cape Fear Report - FINALLY!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by C_wernett, Apr 1, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm burned to a crisp, but it was worth it to finally be able to bring you guys my first decent report of '07. We fished the lower regions of the Cape Fear for roughly 4 hrs. Saturday 03/31/07, and ended up with 7 blues. We got one little 1/2lb fiddle, two at 3lbs., one at 5lbs, two at 15lbs and one at 25lbs. No monsters, but we did hook one that was easily over 30 that got to swim another day do to a bad hookset.

We then proceeded up to lock#1 to have our hand at getting me my first shad, and after about 600 casts, I hooked(and caught) my first little brute of a fish we call the shad! The color of the day was anything chartruse. We didn't catch a ton, but we ended up with 5. Man are those things a crazy fight on a 7 1/2' UL rod!

I've got pictures, but thanks to a new editing program, I don't know how to resize the pictures yet to get on here, and as soon as I figure it out I'll get some posted. Untill then if you'd like to see some, just shoot me a message and I'll send them directly. Thanks for everyones votes of confidence telling me to stick to it!

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here's the first set of pictures from yesterday. I hope they turn out resizing them with this new program!

Attached Files:

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, first set went well, here's some more! Notice those sweet burn lines!!!

Attached Files:

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    VERY NICE FISH MAN CONGRATS ON THE CATCH.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, if feels good to finally have that monkey of not catching blues off my back!

6. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    That looks like a good trip to me. How was the shad bite at lock 1?

7. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Very nice fish ! Those shad put up a heck of a fight don't they:big_smile: . Glad ya'll had a great time.
    My son and I went Saturday and Sunday bream fishing and catn.Did ok and had two great days on the water with my boy:big_smile: .And we kept three of the cats to fry up too.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The shad bite was slow but consistent once we figured out the color that was triggering them. There are plenty of shad there, the just were on fire that day. If we would have found the pattern sooner, we'd probably have got at least on limit filled before the water dropped and the bite shifted. Those little things are monsters on light gear!!! I'd loved to have hooked up with a 4 or 5 pounder!

9. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Great catch I know it was fun.Glad you finally got a blue,they dont fight as hard as a flathead to me but they are fun to reel in.We use pink jigs with white grubs here on the neuse it is a standard that is all i take if they dont hit that they aint hitting.Well they might but i would never know.Congrats!

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great catch...looks like you all had a blast.

Don't forget your sunblock next time you go fishing! lol:lol:

11. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice shad and catfish bud.

12. Bottomline

Bottomline New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good job. Keep up the good work

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Next time I'm hoping to get me one of those slobs!.

14. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm going to try the cape fear cat and shad bite tommorow, i got everything loaded and ready!

15. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i finally went last night and got 5 i said it 5 over 30 lbs not to mention all the ones we lost due to hang ups. and everyone came off of fresh shad. the key is fresh. if bait set longer than 30 minutes i changed bait and usually got a hit within minutes of it hitting the water. well good luck all i am going to try again tonight.

16. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got skunked fishing lock 2, got a few bites, went up to lock 1, nothing :( .

17. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Has anybody been on the fear lately? Planning on going this weekend.

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here recently I've been restricted to local creeks and rivers, as my buddy with the pontoon fell from a stocking truck and got messed up pretty good and hasn't been able to get out. I don't know if he got out this past weekend or not. Other than that I haven't heard much.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Conrad congrats on finnally getting that 1st blue. There will be many more just keep at it. Keep those great reports coming.