Cape fear north of sanford?????

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by crusinman2002, Jun 19, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    has anyone ever fished the cape fear north of sanford... i'm limited to the shore, and i was thinking about trying the river this weekend, i would be fishing right off of NC42 at the boat ramp... i heard eel is a good bait, can i get that with the cast net... i have a 6 foot radius 3/8 inch mesh cast net... i'm thinking that i am going to get one of those fish finders that you cast out with a pole to see the structure so i hopefully don't lose too much tackle... lol... any help is appreciated

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think you need an eel pot to catch those and I wanted to thank you for telling me about that spot on Jordan.

3. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you can catch eels like fishing for bream on the bottom. or need a eel pot. but you can buy them too. im me i give you some info ok.

4. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    yea I am thinking of heading out to cape fear by shore as well. I dont know if lillington or 42 is a better spot.

5. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I have fished both places from the bank very much. At the 42 ramp you will have more room to fish than the Wildlife area in Lillington. But usually at Lillington there are less people fishing. There have been some very large Flatheads caught at both places. At the 42 ramp you can catch eels on the back side of the parking lot in the hot water discharge ditch from the Progress Energy Coal fired plant. The path to it has a cable across it but its to keep you from putting jon boats there. Worms, chicken liver, or fresh shrimp fished on the bottom will usually get you some eels of all sizes. Have to be over 6 inches to be legal. Also some good channels are in the discharge during the winter and now during high water. Good luck where ever you choose, good fishing both places if you are there at the right time ! At 42 you are only a mile or so below the starting point of The Cape Fear. You are really more East of Sanford.

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i think that i'm going to go up there friday night after i get out of work, it prolly won't be till after midnight though... i'm not sure... i might make it there sat. night and sunday... i just don't know yet... might be going back up to jordan sat. night... give me a pm and we might be able to plan something up at the river

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... i went up to the 42 spot this afternoon before having to come to work... found a little shad pocket... pulled a whole net out and all i wanted was one... lol... i only had about half an hour to fish after finding the shad... was really there more to check it out... i'm prolly going to go up 2night after work and fish for a couple of hours... see what i can get... the half hour i was fishin today i didn't get nothin... something slacked my line pretty good and took it back out some, but didn't load the rod at all... just playin with it... the current was really slow it seemed.... i'll let yall know how it goes 2morrow.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... i just got back home from the river... absolutley skunked... didn't catch a thing... unless if mosquito bites count... i did have a couple of bites, but i'm using circle hooks and was waiting for the rod to load up... when i packed up for the night, it looked like something had bit the bluegill about midway down from the head... had a bunch of scales missing and had bite marks... maybe if i would have waited a bit longer, the fish may have come back to eat the fish after killin it... but i did have a deer walk up on me... i was just sittin there watchin my poles, and i heard something moving behind me... i sat there, still as could be... then i see a deer out of the corner of my eye, not even a foot away from me walkin to the water to take a drink... it didn't even know i was there is what it seemed like... as soon as it took a drink and turned around to go back the other way it seen me... so i shined the light on it real quick to get a look... very nice doe... biggest one i've seen round these parts.. she jumped a bit and then started snorting at me... i kept the light on her, and she started moving away, just staring at me and snorting... as soon as she new she was clear, she took off running... really kewl experiance... i've never had a deer walk up on me fishin.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    keep tring crusiman you will get them. it looks as if the fishing has gone down hill for the most part right now. we must be in the peak of the spawn but they dont all spawn out at the same time. i dont know about them circle hooks for this time of year for myself anyways. might want to try a differnet hook for right now if you are seeing the bites. maybe you could take advantage of the fish with a hook set. im just thinking with the spawn that maybe the fish are not aggressive enough for a cirlce hook. i know the blues i caught last week was a little slow on the bite. they would would take my slip corks down and turn lose alot of times. had to be on my toes to connect with the fish. just a thought.

10. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    yeah.. i been thinkin bout goin back to my offset J's for a while... missed quite a few fish last weekend cause they wouldn't load the rod... they do seem to be biting real slow since we got all that rain from the tropical storm... and then it rained pretty good yesterday too... but, i'll be back up there friday night to try it out agian... i can stay alot longer friday night too.

11. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How do you get to the wildlife area in Lillington. I live near Smithfield.

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i'm not sure how to get to that one... i haven't gone to the one in lillington... the only one that i know is the one on 42... but i'm sure that if you snooped around http://www.ncwildlife.org you could find it.

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey... i just got back home from fishing the cape fear at the 42 boat ramp... i was there with a couple of other guys... well... actually i met them there... the one guy is a diehard catter, i'm sending him an invite to the boc... i think he would love it here... he was the only one catching fish and they were all caught on limb lines... for rod and reel it was slow... i put out an eel pot that i made, but it took all night to get just one eel... but he was a nice one... umm.... had quite a few nice bites... i'm going back up 2night... hoping to be there about dusk... oh... the largest caught tonight was a 15 pound flathead... 4 flatheads were caught and one channel cat... he was really small though... if any of you want to meet up there, i'll be up there about dusk... i have a little red 2000 toyota celica... i'll have the radio on in the car... thats how you will know its me.

14. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Jordan, Lillington is so small anyone here should be able to tell you how to find the Wildlife area. There is a boat ramp but I wouldn't suggest anything much bigger than a 12 - 14 ft. jon boat. Above the ramp the water gets extremly shallow and rocky and about a mile below the ramp some large rocks and a set of falls. Its located only a few miles out of town on the Old Prison Camp rd.. When you have enough posts to pm me I will be glad to give you any info I can on The Cape Fear here in the Lillington-Raven Rock area. Bank fishing area is getting limited because of mis-use of public land. You will find it ( Wildlife Ramp ) posted on both sides but still a fairly large area is open. Have been some big flats caught from the bank right at the ramp using live and cut bait. Usually bream and shad. Shad hard to come by in that part of the river though.

15. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the information.

16. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey... i'm going to be up at the river all weekend this weekend... at the public boat ramp on NC42... there is a spot for bank fishing away from the boat ramp... its a 4 day weekend... woo hoo... lol... i'll be up there friday night after work (work 2nd shift)... sat. night, sun. night, mon. night... i might end up camping up there... i'll be there with 4 others and they are camping too... i don't know if we are allowed to camp next to the river like we are planning, but i'm sure the game wardon will let us know... lol... i haven't found anything that says that we can't... and i've seen people camp up there before... but anyways... will will have coolers out there... propane camping stove... tiki torches... lanterns... chairs... rod holders... the works... we are even gettin a canoe to set limb lines out down the banks... i'm hopin that we can pull in some nice size flatheads during the weekend... on the 16th one of the guys i'm going with caught a 41 pound flathead... so i'm hoping i can break my 15 pound personal best this weekend... if anyone wants to join us you are more than welcome... just beware that there are alot of snakes up there... we always see them out there... at least 4 have been seen every night... here is a pic of the area we will be fishing... http://curseyournameracing.com/random/HPIM2022.JPG ... i think we are going to bring a weed wacker up there friday to get rid of the long grass and small brush right in front of where we fish... that will let us closer to the bank and will get rid of the snakes that come out of there right up to us when we are fishing... it will also open up more fishing spots right there... if you want to come, just come... you won't be able to miss us... you can see us from the bridge... if you come over the bridge... we will have at least 3 cars and a truck out there... we will have tiki torches standing up and lit, and some lanterns out and lit... and we will all be sitting between the bank and the cars... if you pull into the area, when it opens up turn left, we are right there... just ask for ken (thats me)... if you can... pm me and let me know you will be out there... but i won't get any pms after friday night... and on friday night i won't be out there till about midnight... oh we will prolly have our tents set up too... lol... ok... well... its time for me to post this... see you on the river:big_smile:

17. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    There are a bunch in the area of the ramp and behind it near the drainage area. All of the ones I have seen are Northern Water Snakes with the exception of one Red Belly Water Snake which was the first one I have seen in this area.

18. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    awesome info... all i knew was that they were snakes and that we were in their teritory