Cape Fear/NE Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by C_wernett, Feb 13, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm stumped. Apparently the fish aren't anywhere around Castle Hayne or Wilmington at least. We covered some pretty water too, and didn't mark the first fish. Not even bowfin! But we have caught a few fish up around Burgaw on the NE Cape Fear before, so I'm assuming that the fish move up in the river during winter months? I'm trying to get my first blue cat. I catch flats and channels all summer long, no problem, but never a blue. I've SEEN them caught, some nice ones too, so I know they cover this water. Where are they at???

2. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    cape fear can good or bad just like santee you just have to keep going till you find them you might luck up we did not do good on our last trip

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Around here the blues seem to move towards the coast to follow the shad and herring as they move up the river.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Maybe we just didn't get far enough toward the coast, but we didn't have a single fish on the depth finder or one bite...gotta do something different.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Last summer I only marked one fish on the finder, but even when i didnt have any fish on the finder they were still there, so i dont know. Catfish on the Cape Fear are tricky.

6. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Two of my brother-in-laws and one of my nephews went out on the Cape Fear river over near Elizabeth Town last Monday and they fished hard all day and caught a total of two small Channel Cats. I guess they just weren't biting yet.

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Down in that part of the fear it is really flooded bad right now. So alot of current and not alot of fish movment means little to no fish to me.

8. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I put in at the castle wildlife ramp and marked alot of bait fish with the finder and some bigger fish too, but couldn't get anything to bite a hook. Water temperature was 58f.

9. hotwhelz

hotwhelz New Member

State:
    NC
    What about the cape fear near Wilmington? I have heard of some nice blues caught there