cape fear in fayetteville

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by dhart73, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dhart73

dhart73 New Member

State:
    Stedman NC
    Can anyone tell me why the bite is off so bad up here? I can't seem to find a blue cat at all!! I know the flats are still here and in good numbers but its like the blues vanished!!

2. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Im not sure but i went a couple weeks ago and didnt get but 1 bite and that was it.....I was told they were spawning at the time, I have no clue......:sad2:

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    it,s not just up there they are not bitting in ne capefear either if we ever catch another we can ask him :smile2::smile2: at our tourney sat nite not i fish was caught . 9 people 8 hours no fish somethingt was a muck

4. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Oh Yea i didnt catch anything in the NE Cape Fear either???? :sad2:

5. dhart73

dhart73 New Member

State:
    Stedman NC
    This has been going on for the last few years. I know the spawn has an effect this time of year but its been like this year round. I think catfishgary said it best "the dead sea "!!!! Why is this happening to such a great fishery???

6. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    shocking and trot lines? a couple weeks ago when i went up here in fayetteville i seen 2 dead cats on the river bank still connected to lines....pretty upsetting stuff........:angry:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Don't be afraid to change up. Match the hatch.
    I know where some blues are:wink:

8. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    The blue cats should be coming off of the bed anytime now, I know the past 3 years its typically the first 7 to 10 days of June when they come off of the beds. Another thing right now to consider is the river is 2 ft above normal in Fayetteville. I plan on getting out the begining of next week probally monday nite or tues nite as long as the river is no more than 2 to 3 feet above normal. When the river get right (hopefully soon) the bite will be on! However as catfishgary has said the fishing isn't as good as it use to be. I wouldn't call it the dead sea, but the limbliners have really put a hurting on the fishing in the fayetteville stretch. It's ridiculous, I've seen one boat putting out over 100 lines in a couple hundred yard stretch, and up and down the river they went all night. That's the biggest problem with the fayetteville stretch! Mako, I may need a partner monday or tuesday night, you game? Send me a PM if you are.

9. dhart73

dhart73 New Member

State:
    Stedman NC
    Thanks guys that's all good info and a lot of my own thoughts too. Maybe things will pick up again in the future. But I will say that the flats are getting better and better every year and there is no doubt a 80+ lurking around!!

10. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    If anyone plans on fishing the Fayetteville stretch this weekend I just wanted yall to know I rode over it this morning and it is high and muddy!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Getting all those flood waters from Greensboro last week.

12. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't know exactley what is going on up there . I've fished up there for about four years , and like you say it's just not right around there . I was wondering if it could be the shocking , or posible the mass numbers of people fishing up there now . When I started fishing up there we had no problem catching 10-15 fish a night and even 5-10 during the day . Now your it seems like you're doing good to catch 5 fish . I don't have the awnser but it needs to be figured out and something done about it if posible . Because like you I used to think that it was a wonderful fishery .:big_smile:

13. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i actually beleive from what ive caught that the blues have spawned! its just that time of the year again when the river drops low and the oxygen level gets depleted quickly....along with hot water temps and very little current it really makes for a bad time of the season for fishing! but the fish will still bite! they let jordan loose a few weeks ago and the river was exceptionally high for about 9 days......now its like 8 feet below average......wait till we get a good rain up north towards raliegh and cary and let the runoff make it down here or either they open the gates of jordan again.....it'll cool the water temps and replenish a little oxygen and the fish will get a little more active! Blues like current and there isnt alot of that right now! Flatheads......well they're flatheads..........the ones ive seen lately are still close to structure! theyre not far from their lairs! use the biggest piece of live bait you can get your hook into!

14. BIGFLAT

BIGFLAT Member

State:
    Broadway NC
    Anybody fishing out of Riverside friday night? Going to try and catch more
    than 2 fish but that seems to be quite a job here lately. Anyway if so stop
    and speak , white sunbird 18 ft and I'm hard to miss 6'3" 350lbs.

15. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I cant get out til Sat or Sun night.....:0a32:

16. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    just got a heads up from my friend joe (long whisker) on here.......asid he had a pretty good night with the flatties down a few miles from rockfish creek near monsanto plant......:wink:

17. BIGFLAT

BIGFLAT Member

State:
    Broadway NC
    that is good to hear, hopefully Ill have some luck with the flatheads too

18. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    when are you going bigflat? i may try it tomorrow afternoon dependin on what time i get off work

19. BIGFLAT

BIGFLAT Member

State:
    Broadway NC
    friday evening around 6:30 and fish until around 8 or 9 saturday morning

20. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    that would be a good time especially before the weekend traffic gets too bad! you should stopin on beaver creek and try also while youre over that way.........its the 1st creek on the left past rockfish............just watchout for the rabid beavers!.............lol............some get a little tempermental when people anchor out around the mouth of the creek!