Cape Fear help needed

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by hotwhelz, Nov 14, 2006.

1. hotwhelz

hotwhelz New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello all, I am new to the area and would like to try to fish the Cape Fear river by boat( I think it is the lower ). My question is what would be the best bait and rigs for that area. Living down on the coast of NC now I have access to a good supply of menhaden and mullet. I was thinking about using that but was unsure. I have a few buckets of ground up menhaden mixed with dog food and blood in my freezer ready to use for chum. I just think I could use any info on this area.:confused2:

Thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A carolina rig are a three way rig would be your best bet IMO. Good luck

3. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you could yuse a no roll sinker with a barrell swivel and about 18 inchs of 30 lb line and a 7/0 hook. that one way i do it and the three way with about 3 inchs for weight and 18 to 24 for hook side. i fish both the start of drop offs and the back side where they rise again. usually works good for me. hope this helps some

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I agree with Joe on the no roll on a carolina rig. I use a 4-5 oz no roll and bead, polomar knot, 2/0 swivel, 15" of 80# gorilla braid and a gamakatsu octopus hook anywhere from 7/0-10/0 IMHO thats the best rig I have ever used, my second rig would be the three way like Joe described it. Use cut eel this time of year, the head side is your best bet, produced two blues in the mid fifties, but I have also caught blues in the 40lb range on the tails. Good luck

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jay we need to get together some time soona nd fish. i been wanting to try the nuses. i got a freind who would like to go if possible. we went the other night when it was 20 degrees and we caught 3 in the 20 lb range. had a nicer one one but lost him due to a snag near where we where fishing. talk to you soon.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yeah we should go, I think the river levels will be down to about normal soon. Hopefully they will bite. I haven't been catfishing in the neuse for a long time so I have no idea where they are biting.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I want to go....:sad2:

Can I go????:sad2: hu hu hu can I

Welcome Eric, listen to these guys they know what they are talking about...

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we can all get together and try it soon. been waiting for river to come down and see what it is going to act like. now she seems like it will not rain for a while and the flow is not really that bad. just cant catch any large flatties but those big blues will not bother me. maybe get some of those big fall blues.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just have to get out there and see how they are biting. Maybe the flats will still bite but its hard to say. Wouldn't mind catching some more 50lb blues though. I am hopeing to break sixty this year but just haven't had a chance to get out there because this whole fall the river was flooded.

10. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jay the water looks good at spring garden

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Eric! I used to live in Holly Ride but never did any cat'n. Always Bass fished. I wish I still lived down there, one of my brothers still does and every time I go down there we hook up and due some fishing. The next time I go down there I am going to try for some cats for sure.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats good. I will have to get out there soon to try it.