Cape fear flathead catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatwannabe, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i was just wondering what everyone looks for to find a good flathead hole. i've been real interested in trying to start fishing for flatties, but i just need some advice on what to look for in particular besides deep water and heavy timber. thanks guys

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Pat,
    You don't have to go deep for nice flatheads. Many are caught in shallower water than a lot of folks would ever think.
    Do some reading through the past posts and you will learn lots on that topic.
    Good luck :)

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    ok, thanks for the advice

4. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    I know last weekend they were coming out of shallow water right up against the banks. Heavy cover. I also like the live eel for bait.

5. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I grew up on the cape and from what i have seen those flatties hit shallow water at night. find a area where there trees in the water old stumps stuff like that and there is shallowwater close by use live bream or goldfish and you will get one.

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is it legal to use goldfish for bait in NC? Even if they are, seems like that could be expensive!

7. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i was wondering about that too, blue gill or goldfish, i thought it was illegal, but im used to fishing with shad.

8. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Don't know about using goldfish,but bream is legal as long as it is being used on rod and reel.Unless it has changed?????

9. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea you can use bream on rod and reel only. Not jugs or limlines or trotlines. I just don't know if goldfish is legal to use as live bait (or cutbait for that matter). LoL