Cape Fear - Finally got some catfishing time!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by C_wernett, Jan 27, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Finally, even though the weather could have been better, got down to the Cape Fear to try my hand at the blues again. Trailer stayed straight this time, cold and rainy, but we managed to get eight blues. Nothing to brag about, but better than nothing.

We started out trying to cast net some bait and ended up after two hours with just two gizzard shad, so we headed to the river with two shad and some shrimp(thanks Wes!), so see if maybe we could get some eels. Well we get out on the river in that wonderful rain we had Saturday, and we set out on a bait journey and get one decent eel. Lots of hits, just one caught though...so we move up to our first spot, put out some cut bait and start getting hit instantly...but can't hook. But then something nails the bait rod and we bring up a 4lbs. blue. So we switch all the rods to shrimp, and catch two more blues in the 2lbs. range. Well, as it turns out...that was the only thing that would catch fish...shrimp. Had a few hits on the shad and eel, but nothing big enough to hook on that kind of bait. Big fish of the day was only 5lbs, but it was still a lot of fun!

2. natethegreat

natethegreat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats odd you didnt catch anything bigger in the cape fear

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the fish. Wish i could get out and fish the river right now. Their up and flowing hard here in Ohio.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report, Sounds like a funday fishing :cool2:.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ...and every river has it's days as they say. Next go around, who knows, I might set a record!

6. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats true, what part of the Fear are you fishing, if you dont mind me asking.

7. Brendin0702

Brendin0702 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where do you catfish in the Cape Fear to catch those fish I have been catfishing so much times but never caught a catfish not 1.
    If anyone can please provide help on catfish in the Cape Fear River PM me I desperately need advice.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry about the slow replies, haven't been around here too much, and my access to the river and cats is very limited as of recently. (I don't think anyone likes me!...lol) I mostly fish the Cape Fear through Wilmington...when I get an invite from someone with a boat, but that's become a "once a year thing" so it would appear!

9. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    hey i fyou get a chance try the neuse river the shad are running so are the stripers but wait it out you will be very imprese went fri 3-14 caught 23 blues from 4lbs-43lbs mostly on shad but 3 on eels

10. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    your welcome if you go let me no how you do

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don't have a boat, so it's not real likely. I've been wanted to get up that way more and fish, but again the whole boat issue. I've fished some of the creeks that run into the Neuse and had some luck, but have never gotten to fish the Neuse itself.

12. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Know what you mean Conrad..I'm in the same (pardon the pun) boat..that being no boat!:cry: I do plan to rectify that as soon as my daughter graduates collage! When I do get to the Trent or Neuse its on my buddy's boat...bass boat..so guess what we fish for! :angry: Oh well better that not fishing at all..cheers!

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've actually fishing some bass tournaments right now because a guy I know said he'd cover all expenses if I'd just fish with him...so you can't really go wrong there! lol I just wish I knew some guys who fished tournaments for other fish though, that would be more my speed.

14. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    hey, get up with riverside on the cape fear or e-z bait on the neuse they have a trail

15. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    can i get more info on trails thanks

16. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    call wanda at riverside in fayetteville

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member