Cape Fear Coast Questions

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by floundahman, Jun 21, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Are there any BOC members familiar with the Cape Fear Coast? I'll be there the week of the 4th of July for a fishing vacation with the family. I know that we'll be close to the river but being unfamiliar with the area, I have some questions. How far upriver do I have to get to find good catfish fishing? Anyone know of names or locations of boat ramps and bank access in the area? Any idea where I might find some bait? The place that we're staying has a fishing pier on the ocean is there anything worth fishing for this time of year? My father has lived in MA most of his life and has never caught a true catfish (just bullheads). I'd really like to see him catch a nice blue, channel, or flathead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For a saltwater fishing destination the outer banks would have been much better then the lower part of the state.
    You can see the gulfstream from the top of the Hatteras light on a clear day.
    From the Cape Fear area the gulfstream is going to be probally 70 miles or so from land. They've been catching some nice Pompano lately in the 2 pound range on the banks.
    My bait of choice is finger mullet or cut mullet.
    Finger mullet arent around in the summer. You may luck up and find some frozen.

I dont know of any bankfishing spots right offhand for catfish but I guess a good place to start would be Lock 1 at Riegelwood.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jim I might have helped you out here but ....wait let me go back in my memory banks.Arent you a,,a, gasp, retch , Red Sox fan??????:crazy::confused2::eek:oooh:So my advice is go to your local book store and get this months copy of NC Sportsman Magazine.It will have articles about and a rundown of everything that is biting fresh and salt by location.I would have given you my secret honeyholes but we Yankee fans are still 9 games back,!:angry: on the other hand we could do a deal for that woman in the white dress unless of course she might be ,perish the thought,a Red Sox fan.:big_smile::lol::cool2::smile2:

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jim, not one to rub salt in a wound but it's actually 10 games. As for the lady in the white dress, she's a Patriots fan but isn't into baseball. She had a bad intersection experience in NY close to Yankee Stadium a couple of weeks ago so; though I wouldn't say that she's a Sox fan (yet) it's safe to say she doesn't like the Yankees (good enough for me:wink: )Besides it's past the trading deadline as far as she's concerned:cool2: and I have no intentions of letting her become a free agent.LOL. Seriously, my dad booked this vacation and I'm really more interested in catching cats on this trip than I am fishing the ocean. There's some info on the internet, but I've gotten the best tips right here on the BOC, that's why I'm asking. Thanks......................................
    .............................................................and........................................
    Go Sox!

5. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    you could try the fishing dock at sutton lake. it's right off of 421 coming out of wilmington. i hear they catch some nice flatheads from that dock.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jim go to the NC SPortsman website and look up cape fear catfish.They have had a couple of good recent articles on that subject and they provide good maps etc with the articles.You dont say if you will fish from shore or have a boat and I dont know that lower river area at all so I can't be of much help.There is good flounder ,puppy drum and trout fishing right now in the ocean.OK OK its 101/2 games but even we should be able to beat the Giants and you guys have to beat the Padres.Unfortunately we will only have 6 more chances to whup you guys this year and for once I DON't want the Yankees to be the div winner.I want them to have to hustle and fight their way via the wildcard ,from which many of the recent series winners have come.Good luck on the FISHING only.:big_smile::lol:

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There's one spot beside the battleship you can fish there in Wilmington, but the fishing can be sporadic. There are some real nice blues that come through there from time to time, and usually a mess of smaller ones hanging around. If you can find someone with a boat, there are some areas real close there that can produce pretty well. I've got a buddy who charters that section, if you want I can get you his number and he might be able to help you out.

As far as the comment about lake Sutton right now, I wouldn't be looking to get much from that dock. Lake one should be just below boiling temps, and the better fishing will be had in lakes 5-8 which you can no longer fish from shore since they closed off the back wall.