Cape fear cats

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by striker52, Jan 29, 2008.

1. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys, let me start by saying what a site I've been hooked on catfishin since i started way back when and this site just blows me away. I live in Cary and do a lot of fishing with my friend Zach (Arojekt) and we just recently started fishing the cape fear river. We don't have a boat so we are confined to the shore line and i was wondering if anyone had some advice for catching winter cats along the shores above and below the buckhorn damn any help is appreciated.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Welcome to the site.
    You live in Cary and dont fish the Neuse?
    You've got 40 plus pound flatheads in the Raleigh city limits. No boat needed.

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Mark J your 100% right on that one! HA

4. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice, I know this may sound foolish but I'm not quite sure how to get there or even where to begin to look for a good fishing spot any information would be extremely helpful.

5. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't worry, Nick. I know how to get there. It is up by where I had to go to practice in the past.

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Used to live in fayettville nc,and im here to tell ya,they are some big big cats in the cape fear trust me,a buddie has a 57lber hangin on his wall..Theres eels in there too,caught one of those in cape fear,it was scary seein that thing..

7. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    I know that eels can be used as bait, as the same principle applies to ocean fishing. What's used to catch the eels in freshwater environments? Can traps be used to collect them en masse, or must they be caught with a hook like bream?

Thanks.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Anywhere below the Milburnie dam to Smithfield.
    If we want shad, we go to the dam and throw a cast net. I dont fish at the dam though.
    The secret of the Neuse is that water is unboatable except using a kayak or canoe. Jon boat is iffy in some places but will work. The problem with a jon is coming back up river.
    So this puts most of the catters with boats not fishing that whole stretch of river.
    Most of the places we fish on the river we hike and wade in to. Sometimes a mile or more.
    You have to get away from places of easy access no matter if you fish the Cape Fear or the Neuse. Alot of people fish around the bridges that cross the rivers. I might park there but I guarantee you wont see me there. I may be 2 miles away.
    For bait we use large minnows, bream, and eels.
    Most of our largest flatheads come off large minnows. We've caught a many a flathead up to 50 pounds on minnows.
    We have better luck with eels on the blues.
    Shad are hit and miss. You arent going to keep them alive the way we fish number one but it doesnt rule out flatheads or blues.
    Sometimes shad is the bait to have , sometimes not.

9. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    So would it be a great idea to park off of Wake Forest Rd (Falls of the Neuse Rd), and walk from there? Also, would shrimp do anything for us on that river?

Thanks again.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    No. Dont waste your time above the Milburnie dam.
    The Milburnie dam is located right off 64 east.
    Fish between 64 and Smithfield. Its fished very little very seriously.
    most people aren't willing to put in the effort.
    Thats what makes it so good.
    Not many people get into paddling or wading.
    Bush hooks are nonexistent. Jugs are non existent. Never seen a trotline either but I've seen plenty of big cats.

It is the holy grail of this part of the state. I guarantee there is several state record flats in that section of river.

Its the same reason I've always enjoyed bass fishing Mattamuskeet Lake. Its a huge lake but shallow.
    The "big boys" cant use their big boy toys there. I've fished as long as a week at the time there and never run across anybody else fishing.
    A Bass Tracker type aluminum boat with a short shank does pretty good there if you know where to run but its alot of water to learn.
    I've literally caught so many bass in a day I got tired of it. Most of it is sight fishing. Pick the bass out you want to catch and throw to him.

That lake is the holy grail of bass fishing in the state because its so shallow.
    It keeps all those wanna be weekend pros out.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We're talking about fishing for totally unpressured flatheads and blues here.
    Find that anywhere else.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    big blues...markj is right my buddy hooked a 40 plus pound blue down in Smithfield....

he cpr'd the fish....the neuse water is kind of nasty....(if you ask me)..you will know when you catch one of those big cats...boy do they stink...

If you want eating fish stay in the cape fear but if you want cpr fish, fish the neuse...

there are plenty of bank spots down here in smithfield...

you can fish the banks behind the neuse river indoor lumber yard or the bar "the little brown jug"..there are allot of bank miles you can fish at either of those places...

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like I'm going to have to come up there and go fishing sometime. I like the sound of fishing in places that virtually nobody fishes. Those are usually loaded with willing fish!

14. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    We tried today, and it seems that it won't be an ideal place to fish for a while. They've closed off the gates that allow people to drive close to the river or the dam. We parked as close as it would allow (the entrance to the street) and apparently you can still go in there, you just can't park inside the area.

There were no signs of any fishermen, and that was after looking down at the spill end of the dam, and after a long trek through wooded areas to reach remote locations for our fishing grounds.

The fish didn't bite, we didn't see any activity. There were no baitfish...

I think it's all kind of shabby this time of the year, as everyone that visited the park were there for hiking or sight-seeing.

We used both mullet and shrimp purchased from the Grand Asia Market; which I must say has probably the best prices I've seen in any fish market between Cary/Raleigh, the one on the Cape Fear, and Earp's on South Saunders.

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    just wait a month or 2 that place will be kicking...you will have to park at the top of the street...the gates are never open..it's more of a canoe launch....

soon the shad will be there and then the stripers...and yes i said stripers..inside the raleigh city limits...

remember there is no dam between Milburnie and the ocean...