Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Cape Fear Catfish 2017

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  FoggyRiverCatfish 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm new to the board. I have a lot of experience fishing on the Neuse River but have never been on the Cape Fear. I am looking into fishing the Cape Fear as a change of scenery from the Neuse.

First Question: what is the condition of the fishery in the Cape Fear? are there good numbers of cats, as well as quality sized fish?

Second: Where do you recommend putting in at? I've been eyeing the section of the river around Elizabeth town, but would be willing to travel elsewhere if that section of the river isn't the best.

#6 ·
True. I have put some time in this year. Doing it right now. Just in another river. The best thing I've learn that I can pass on is talk with folks on that body of water and anything written in an article is mostly a general thing and get you confused more than anything. You can't fish the cape fear like the neuse and you can't either of them like a lake. So just get your tactics down pat for that body and even they area of the same body. The north end of the cape fear is night and day from the coastal end of it. If you ever have any questions let me know. 9193378018

#8 ·
Im new to Jacksonville but not to catching cats. Been seeing and hearing some good things about the ne cape fear but have no idea where any of these places are but would like to find some hood spots. Im stuck on land right now but looking to jump into a nice pontoon next spring. Anyone willing to pass on some info I am all ears

#10 ·
I have seen a lot of people talk about lock and dam #2, but does anyone fish lock and dam #1? I have seen it on the google map and it looks good. just wondering if its still to brackish or if it is nice and fresh up by there. also how good is the fishing. its a half hour closer to me but if its not worth the trip, then I am willing to drive a bit farther. I would rather go somewhere that I know will pay off.

#14 ·
Went catfishing yesterday with my son . Put in at Troy hole . We fished every bend, logjam , middle, up river about 4 miles and came up with nothing. We used cut bait, hotdogs, chicken liver. Think only place I can catch fish is in a fish market.,
That sucks man. That is normally a good area I hear. I like Tarheel boat ramp. Did you go up toward Tarheel or down toward the lock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.