Cape Fear @ burgaw help

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jimshady, Mar 23, 2008.

1. jimshady

jimshady New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I am thinking about hitting the Cape fear around burgaw here soon, does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have night crawlers, some commercial stink baits and a few live eels. I have no experienceo n this river and not much luck period on catfish so far, any help appreciated. :eek:oooh:

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    not much experince in that part of river,fish the bends and holes good luck

3. jimshady

jimshady New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I ended up going the night follwoing this post. Stayed from about 5 til 9 or so, I got 1 bowfin and a couple of Taps but nothing else ( the bowfin came on nightcrawlers) A guy I work with said its probably because I ended up some no name creek and not the actual river but who knows.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My advice is to use the worms to catch some bait.
    Another secret I'll divulge here on the BOC.
    I use minnows alot on the neuse river and a 3 inch minnow believe it or will catch some huge flatheads.
    Most of the large flatheads we catch are off minnows.:wink:
    Flatheads in the 40-50 pound class.

Another bait I use. Finger mullet, Pogey, cigar fish.
    You can buy big boxes frozen at some of the Walmarts at the coast.
    I keep a supply laid in.

Eel. I'll use live and cut eel.
    If you use it live, clip the tail to keep him from digging in.

What we do is is carry several types of bait and we'll bait every setup different. Some with cut, some live, and some whole dead baits.
    We get a variety out there and see whats they are biting.

Beofre too long catfishing will be impossible where we fish. The gar will start their spawning. Aggravating to say the least.

5. jimshady

jimshady New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mark J .. care to elaborate? I am fairly new to this so how are the Gar going to effect the catfishing? I think I will give it a try one of these evenings again waters getting a little bit warmer.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Oh the gar?
    Well there is about 5 males courting a female.
    WHatever you put in the water to catfish with they are going after.
    There is a couple of weeks in the spring you would be better off gar fishing because they'll get to the bait before a catfish.:big_smile:

7. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Jimshady, do you live around that area? Just curious.I have lived here all my life (just outside of Burgaw) and I fish and hunt this river (the NE Cape Fear,from Castle Hayne to Pin Hook) alot.Let me know what your lookin for cat wise and where you are thinking about putting in at and I will try to help you out as much as I can ok:wink:.

timber Cat

8. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We try to fish trash piles in the bends or log jams just anywhere on the river.
    Doesn't have to be very deep. Put in at the wildlife landing on shaw highway and head down river lots of bends and small creeks coming into the river. About 8 miles down river.

9. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Yeah there are alot of log jams up in that area .i put in at Saw Pit landing alot and fish up and down the river.Some good holes in there for sure but this time of year,as we all know,the boat traffic picks up big time.The mouth of Shelter Creek is also right up (heading down river frow Saw Pit) on the left.First opening you come to matter fact.some decent places in there too.Plus you have a good chance at seeing some prime wildlife up in there like some of those gators that swim around :crazy:.My avatar pic with me and my daughter was taken in Shelter Creek too.That is one pretty place!

10. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There was talk today about a 50lber that was caught around croomsbridge this weekend. But haven't seen any pics yet.

11. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Hey Cliu,sent ya a pm.

12. jimshady

jimshady New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I actually live in Swansboro, but for catfish its either the cape fear or the neuse and burgaw area is about the closest for me. I Don't have 10 posts so I can't PM anyone :sad2: anyhow, I sold my aluminum boat so now I am in a 19 CC so I have to be a bit more careful, but I am still really interested in doing some fishing up that way.

13. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Shady,

Was at the NE Cape Fear today. Coming from swansboro I guess you will take 17 to 210 and either go to lanes ferry or the public ramp at holly shelter. I like the holly shelter ramp. It is very nice and the river is clean and fun to fish south. With my limited experience in the NE Cape Fear take light tackle and try catch bluegill or crappie and use them as bait. If you bring your 19 cc be careful when running fast because there are alot of floating logs that are barely visible above water.

Stay Safe

John