Cape Fear Blues Quetions

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by hardydk1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Me and a friend have been talking about taking the boat down to the cape fear for a while now. We were waiting for it to get colder in hopes of catching some big blues. The only thing really stopping us is knowing where we can put the boat in the river where it is nice and deep, so that I don't have to worry about running into anything in the river. Also we were trying to figure out which bait works best for big blues. We figured cut bait was best, but which type we do no know. We typically fish for flatheads at night during the warmer months, and were curious about how the bite is for blues during the day vs. night. Any help would be appreciated, would love to get down there soon.

P.S. We have never fished for big blues, especially during the cold months of the year. Flatheads are closer to home, so we always fished for them. Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Hardy where on the Cape Fear you thinking about fishing ,Wilm ,lock an dam # 1 ,#2 or # 3 area or somewhere else on the river . I,m not the one to tell you but this info will help some of the more knowlegable guys be able to help you more .

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    From lock 2 down should have plenty deep water for ya. In between locks 1 and 2 may be the best place for a first timer on the Cape. Current only goes one way and it's "smaller" water, not as much to dissect. Almost any kind of cut bait will work and this time of year it doesn't seem to matter much whether it's day or night for blues or flats.

4. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Was looking on the map and the ramp right by I-40 at exit 414 looks like where we might try to go. How deep and "safe" is that area for boating? Also, any type of cut bait work better? Thanks

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i think you are talking about the ramp at Castle Hanye ,rite across the road from the ramp is a good tackle shop ,he is also a member on here ,that is the North East Cape Fear river .Jamie at the bait shop can help you out with bait an places to try

6. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    If you are talking about Castle Hayne, the depth will not be an issue. Nothing to worry about if you stay on the outside of the bends. There is a sand bar way down river around a bend that I've seen a bunch of people hit. Just stay to the outside and you will be fine. I like cut eels out there the best.

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dont know the cape fear but day time will be better for saftey reasons and the blues usually dont care day or night