Cape Fear around the dunn/erwin area

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Matth2083, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Just wondering if anybody has had any luck putting in around the dunn/erwin area?

2. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I live in Erwin and do most of my fishing here. If you know where the bridge that goes over the Cape Fear, I fish about a mile up from it. Yeh this past month I have done pretty good considering how shallow the river has been this year. Caught a 38# blue, 30# flathead, and plenty in the 15-25#. Have you had any luck lately?

3. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    well I got directions to the spot from a buddy of mine at work, so I havent traveled to far from the bridge, but last time I went out there we got a thunderstorm overhead and didnt have much time to do any fishing. But I got skunked the time before that. Any directions to different spot would be helpful maybe other than right around the bridge...looking for some flats tho.

4. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Yeh there is another spot that might be a little closer for you since I see that you live in Raleigh. Its in between Erwin and Lillington on the Cape Fear. There is a Wildlife Access about 4 miles out of Lillington. If you are coming from Raleigh take 401 south to Lillington. Go over the river and into downtown, through a couple lights and you will make a left onto E McNeill St. Go straight on that road for about 2-3 miles until you get to Wildlife Rd. Make that left and your there. There have been some big fish caught pulled from there. My friends dad caught a 53#'er , about 3 yrs ago. Plenty of flats there to fish. Good luck

5. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    yeah thats awesome man.....me and my bro cruised through lillington and looked around a bit...but the locals werent much help..apprecitate the directions...Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it pretty soon.

6. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    be careful if you go downstream on wildlife rd there are tons of rocks to get hung up on

7. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    yeah ive tend to notice that at all of the cape spots ive checked out...but Im getting used to dealing with and getting around snags. looking for the flats tho..thanks man.

8. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Hey there were 2 nice flatheads caught at the Bridge here in Erwin Tuesday. A 45# and a 34#. The picture was in the Daily Record paper yesterday. Didnt say what they were caught on just said they were caught on the North side of the bridge. Two nice catches though.

9. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Went out last night after the little rain that we got and did pretty good. Started out slow, fished for a hour and a half and then the big one hit. Caught all blues, 43#, 18#, and 6#. Fall feeding frenzy is still here, this weekend looks like good weather and should produce some good cats, maybe there will be some posts. I will try and get pics posted soon.