Cape Fear around Hiway 42

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by wtjordan84, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    Anyone fish the Cape Fear around Highway 42? Id love some tips on what works out there if anyone fishes it regularly. Im also curious to hear the biggest fish that people have caught out there. I know there should be some nice fish in there and Ive heard rumors, but I figured Id leave it up to the BOC to seperate the fact from fiction, haha.
    Anyways, me and my buddy put in at the boat ramp on 42 Saturday night and fished for a few hours despite the drizzle and 40 degree weather. We did manage to pull in one flathead of about 6-7 pounds on a live bream, but that was it. We also ran into some good ole boys out there that were nice enough to let us warm up around their campfire before we called it a night. We had a great time and the one flatty made it worth it for me. Ill definitely be going back out there soon!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Back in the 80's that was one kick ass place for huge flatheads.
    Many flatheads were caught trotlining that would shatter the state record.

That was back in the day of fish camps. There were alot of those camps on the river up there. Not much got thrown back.
    It aint nothing even close to resembling what it was 20-30 years ago.
    Alot of fish camps, alot of trotlining, and alot of Canadian Mist.

I use to fish up that way some but it's just so pressured. Too much to my liking.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id be in one of them trotlines if i was on that Mist:smile2:

4. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    lol.....wheres 42.........and a boat ramp.......sounds interesting.............give me directions.................ill check it out!:wink:

5. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    thats my neck of the woods. give me a call. cought some big flats there.

6. mister_whiskers

mister_whiskers New Member

State:
    nc
    thats right above beaver dam right? i know they say its pretty good below the dam but I havent heard much about above it

7. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    got a little secret for you all. below damn 1 on the thuro fiar into the black are some huge cats iv seen two in one day that would both break 50 pounds and one that was 60 if not close. its crazy. if any you get in there just look for the new fallen oak still got leaves on it. right above it and right below it are where both them bad boys came up..........we was shocking...but missed them both.