Cape Fear 9/7

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Sep 7, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I finally had to get out of the house around 5 today and decided to take the jon out to the river. Pulled up on the first spot and caught what I think is the 2nd or 3rd biggest flathead I've ever caught. It easily bottomed out my 32lb scales and my 50lb set was in the fiance's Jeep:confused2: I got it in about 5ft of water on a half of a frozen bluegill (tail section). The pictures aren't that great b/c I was by myself. I fished two more spots and in the last one I hooked another good fish but the hook pulled out, don't really know what happened. Decent day for just a couple of hours, lines in the water at 6 at the ramp at 8:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats nice man. How many inches was it?

3. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Nice big fat flattie. :crazy:

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I didn't measure it, but I looked at the pictures and measured it on the boat and I believe that it was around 42-45in long.

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Nice Flattie, Wes.:cool2:

6. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Nice flathead!!!....were you fishing in around a log jam?

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    ^Nah, I was fishing a shallow pocket right up from a deep outside bend that does have some log cover.

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Nice fish Wes!!

9. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    looks like the only way i see big fish anymore is to look on the site at others pics. hadn,t been able to get on any lately yesterday only managed to catch 3 blue crabs,1 gar, 1 eel, 6 very small cats on ne cape fear,but my day is coming just hope i am there for it :smile2:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It'll happen Randy, I was about to give up this spring. I'd been fishing for a couple of months for blues in the river with only 1 fish to show for it and all the sudden it just happened and we were catching fish pretty good. Sometimes it happens by accident, that's what happened with us using eels. We were getting pecked to death by little stuff one day and I decided to try and catch some and it was eels, then we ran up river and used them and bam we'd found a bait that worked.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    nice flathead thanks for the pics:cool2:

12. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice flathead! Where are you fishing in big cape fear around wilmington or northeast cape fear.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    In the Cape Fear, I've never done any good at all in the NE Cape Fear I think that I've only caught 4 cats there ever. It's similar water, I just can't catch them.

14. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've caught a few nice fish around lanes ferry in the ne cape fear. I always thought the cape fear was to big to try to fish.

15. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    good deal man that is a nice flattie myself and the other kid you seen with me at the ramp at sutton that night haven't had to good of luck at sutton lately been a couple times since with nothin to show for it. we are gonna try again this week we will see what happens

16. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    To Wes...that's a perty flattie...looks like I'm gonna have to make a road trip to NC to get a nice fish like that...lol

and

To Randy...

blue crab and eel are good bait!!:wink: don't worry, when its time for you to get biggun, he'll find you!!