Cape Fear 9/18 above lock #3

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Long Wiskers, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    Went out Friday night with my son and his friend. We went a few miles down past rockfish creek. Had a hard time catching bait even with my castnet. I could only get small brim about 2" or less. Usually a few throws where any creek comes in and I am set for the night. Even with the small brim we did alright. with a 10,18, and a 34 pounder, all were flatheads. we started out using 10 rods. After those fish and a few gar it cut us down to 4 rods the rest of the night.

I know the pics are terrible. Next time I will bring my good camera. the 2 pics with the fish belly up is the 18lb with my 3yr old in the pic. the other is the 34lb with my 14 yr old. All fish were poorly CPR'd:smile2:

Attached Files:

• 163.jpg
      163.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
    • 162.jpg
      162.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
    • 165.jpg
      165.jpg
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Don't get caught using bream caught in a cast net as bait.
    Expensive ticket.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Heard that!

4. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I agree on not using bream from a cast net.

Just use an ultralight and catch bream before you go out. I use a "trout magnet" from walmart, the white body color, and the bream can't resist it. Never takes too long to catch bait.

5. Johny

Johny New Member

State:
    nc
    Huge fine I always hit a dock up kids love to catch the brim :big_smile:

6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    way to go joe..........you been down in my neck of the woods again i see.........how did the little one do on the overnight trip?..........i should be up there this comming weekend.........probably take the wife out....eith there or the ferry one............!congrats again on the fish!:wink:

7. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrats on the great trip with the kids , that's what makes it all worth while ...:0a24::0a23::big_smile:

8. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks guys,

Yes Kevin I was pretty much in your back yard. The youngest one did well he greeted every fish that came in, saying "hi" and waiving. They all had a great time. The only thing better than catching cats myself is seeing kids catch them. My sons friend caught the big one on a Zebco reel with 15lb line. I still am amazed we got that fish in. It almost spooled him twice.

Got one half hour after dark and the other 2 hit at the same time at sunrise...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: i wouldve loved to been there to seen that one.......i bet he thought he had jaws.................:smile2: that had to of been the fisht of a lifetime!:wink:

10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    joe did you put in at riverside or off old wilmington hwy?.........i believe ill be fishing up here the weekend......theres a score i need to go settle with the one that broke us off during the 2009 summerslam!:beat_brick:...but i got something for him this time.....:haha:

11. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    Kevin, It sounds like you are the one thats gonna be tangling with Jaws this weekend.

I put in at Old Wilmington. I know some guys have had trouble at that landing. But I got a beater so they don't look twice at my stuff.:smile2:

12. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    I am going to try to get out again this weekend.

Heres a better pick of the 34 pounder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  13. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    not really any bad experiences at that one....just too much riff raff going thru there!.......i'll probably put in at the private ramp in cedar creeek or the double docks!:wink:

14. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Hey guys,

I went down to the ramp off old 87 highway this past weekend but with the water level where it is, the boat ramp cement didn't go all the way down to the water, near the water's edge it became mud so I was afraid to put my boat in there because i don't have a four wheel drive and my truck could get stuck.

Instead we went on down to the lock and dam#3. Have you guys had much luck around that area? We didn't catch anything this time but it looks like a good place to catch'em.

Before that I've only put in at riverside and fished within a couple of miles of that area but haven't had any luck there either. Not sure where the best place to be is....

15. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    both are good places..........some of my best fishing was done putting in at 3 and going down a few miles past tarheel...........but personally above 3 ive had better luck.........yes the ramp on old wilmington hwy is under mud but its not too bad.........but if you put in at riverside its only a few miles to get there.........you might consider putting in there and heading down past old wilmington hwy...........when you get past rockfish creek and around the monsanto area, start fishin!:wink:

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    nothing better than revenge on the one that got away lol

17. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: revenge is sweet.............ask nick..........:smile2: he'll tell ya!:wink:

18. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    LMAO , you got that right Kevin ... Ah sweete revenge ......:wink::smile2::smile2: