Cape Fear 9/13

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Sep 14, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, Randy and I got out on the Cape Fear for our first attempt at night fishing on the river. It went pretty well for not having done it before, definitely going to be doing it again sometime soon. We ended up with 3 flatheads and 1 blue. Only got one nice one, a 22lber. I did loose a couple that were pretty nice and at the last spot I had a biggun break me off:angry: We got all our hits in slack water areas right out of the main current. Got two fish on eel(frozen) and the rest came on cut shad, all on Carolina rigs. Wish I had some floats, there were large fish on top everywhere and one came up right beside the boat that was about a 20lb blue:eek:oooh: don't really know why they were doing that? The tide was outgoing the whole time we were out there and there was a ton of logs/trash in the water which made maneuvering at night a fairly slow process. We made it back safe and sound though.

Attached Files:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    sounds like a good night to me, its good you made it back ok. I'm sure riding down the river was like running through a mine field with all the trees floating around.

3. straps57

straps57 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice fish. I would like to catch one that big one of these days.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Britton and I went out on the river last night. Had plenty of action but it was all from the little fellows, well at least the ones we got to the boat. Britton had a decent fish on but he didn't get a good hook set and it came off about half way to the boat. We got all our fish in about 20ft of water in pockets out of the main current. Caught my first fish using a float on the leader :big_smile: Randy caught one on that particular rig the last time we were out and inspired me to do the same. All the fish were around 5lbs, better luck next time I guess, one of them is going to get put in some hot grease here in a few minutes. Haven't kept a cat in about 3yrs so I hope that it's gonna be worth it :wink: