Cape Fear 8/23/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bufryda1, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Fished from 7:30pm til 9:30pm with only one strike the whole time and ended up with my personal best tonight, 55# flathead. The fish hit live eel in about 10ft of water. I casted to my spot and as soon as I set my pole back down he hit. 10 minutes later and 25yds downstream, I landed the fish. The fish pulled me, my 16ft square-back canoe with motor, and 15# anchor downstream like it was nothing.

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    CONGRATS on the nice fish!!! where we re you fishing if you dont mind me asking. i have seen a lot of nice flats come out of the river this year. must be the year of the flathead. and some people dont think that eels are that good of a bait. well hope you continue with you sucess and break the 60 lb mark.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I wonder if there is a place to buy eels closer to the 42 bridge. It may be a stretch but does anyone know of a place? Congrats on your nice flattie

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on a very nice catch!

5. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I was fishing my hole upstream on the Cape Fear in Erwin. There are deep holes that nobody fishes, but you cant get to them by boat because of all the rocks. It will be 1ft all the way across the river then drop off to 30ft. Going back out tonight though.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Very nice, Ryan. 55# flatty. Thats a lot of fish.

7. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Nice fish Ryan.50 plus flathead is my goal.Hey laidback I know I'm new to the area but there is a little tackle place at duncan junction on 42 that had eels last time I was in there.I guess about 10 to 15 minutes east of the 42 bridge.

8. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I finally figured out how to post pics. The pic in my avatar and profile is the 55# flathead

9. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    man thats a nice one right there, hopefully ill get me one half that size one day

10. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    the fish box in erwin has them too. I think its about 30mins or so away.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats a very nice flathead, my pesonal best so far is only 46lbs. Hopefully one of these times a bigger one will bite though.

12. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Jay 46lb aint no baby. We fished my spot last night from 7:30pm til 10:00 and caught 2. Biggest was a 23lb flathead and a 12lb blue all on live bait in about 5ft of water. It was my buddys first nice flathead ever. I got him hooked on fishin now.

13. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Any flat over 20 lb. ain't no baby. My biggest is only about 30 lb. and he gave me a fit. i can't imagine a 50 lb flat, but I'd like to try it. I like how they fight like crazy and then when you get them in the boat they just lay there. Not like a channel that will flop around and slime your boat. Hopefully I'll get a big boy this fall. later

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Ryan nice fish...congrats!!!..love them eels... are bait of choice seems to be the live blue gills....I caught one friday with the same situation as your's casted out and set the rod in the holder and wham..fish hit like a ton of bricks mine was only 18lbs. couldn't imagine a 50lber.

15. catnapper2006

catnapper2006 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dont know your location but theres a bait shop jus north of st pauls going toward lock #3 that has em.