Cape Fear 3/7 Lock#1 Shad/Cats

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by navigator, Mar 9, 2009.

1. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    Hi folks, just thought I would log a report.
    water temp (if my depth finder was right ) 47.
    The river was just about 1-2 feet below the parking lot. There was very little drop from above dam to below dam. The water was flowing very fast.
    I don't know what the level is. There was a measuring stick on the side of one of those big tank looking things and the water was about a foot or so from the top. I could see a number 5 but I don't know if that was like 15,25 or 35.

I was taking my nephew and when we got there I almost decided to turn around but the parking lot was full of folks so I talked to a few of the folks there. They said they weren't getting any shad on darts or in their nets because of the high/dirty water. They did say that one lady had just caught a "big" catfish off the bank and so we decided to give it a try. I didn't think to ask what they though big to be though.

My local bait shop was out of shiners so all we had was goldfish and night crawlers. We tried cut goldfish and night crawlers in some of the slower moving spots below the dam and didn't get any bites. I tried a live goldfish in a logjam with no bites. We tried going down below the bridge to see if they were using that break but no bites. We also went back up to the dam, about the first curve where that steep drop is and tried there as well with no bites.

I'm not sure if it was the bait or just the high water or what but we didn't get bit. I threw a shad dart some and didn't get hit either.

Just figured I would throw a report out there.

2. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the report been wanting to come do some shad fishing but wasnt sure if it was worth the drive from fayetteville or not thanks for saving me a sad trip keep us posted cant wait to hook one of them bad boys again

3. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    np, with my luck it will be April before I get to go again.

4. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    heard the bite was good yesterday heard at least one guy got his 10