Cape Fear 3/21/08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Mar 23, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Britton, my brother, his friend Tony and myself went out for a little fishing on Friday. Eels were difficult at best but Tony ended up getting the only one of the day. Got a couple of cats while we were fishing for eels which was a bonus. One was Tony's first catfish:big_smile:. Ran up river and started fishing deep and lost a fish at the first spot. Went shallow and immediately Britton hooked a biggun' but it popped 30 after only half a minute or so. Ended up getting one there and moved up a little and had a TON of pull downs but the bait kept getting doubled up on the hook. Moved to our favorite spot and got my brothers first flathead, Tony's biggest fish ever, Brittons biggest blue (a 20lber) and I caught a few dinks in the mix. Ended up with 6 blues and 2 flatheads. All were caught on carolina rigs in 4-40ft of water using cut shad, wild shiners, and eel. Good day on the water and we didn't even loose an anchor this time:smile2:

2. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Wes sounds like you guys had a great time!! Congrats to to Britton and Tony on both of there PB.

3. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    sounds like a good time, i went to lock 2 sunday, the american shad arent there yet, but the threadfins are and there are plenty of cats with them, caught a good mess of fish , nothing big tho

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, Pat the bite is on! We should have had 20 fish. I've never had so many fish pop the hook and have the bait double up on the hook as much as it did Friday. Some were decent fish/pulldowns. They've been picking up here the last few weeks.

5. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Where at on the cape fear I use to live in Dublin NC

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I fish below lock and dam 1. I have fished above it and really like the water up there. Looks like it's got some bigguns, flatheads especially. We didn't catch anything that day but it looked good and we got hits just didn't get anything.

7. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    what i thought was weird tho was all the good hits, i mean the fish that would double the rod wouldnt get hooked, but the fish that hit lightly , we could pick up the rod and set the hook, we didnt miss a single fish in the light hits, you got an explanation for that???

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The reason why hits like that seem "light" is because the fish is fully taking the bait and continuing to swim in line with the bait. This causes two problems. 1.) Fish can become deep hooked because they have comepletely inhaled the the bait...and 2.)Without turning with the bait it is sometimes hard to hook-up with circles.

Its not hard get even a small fish to double a rod, especially when you've got any sort of current. Small fish are also more prone to want to grab whatever they can of a bait and take off because or food aggression or just to get back where it is safer for them to be!

9. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have come to realize that alot of those hard pulls with no hookup are actually Gar. I hate those things and they are everywhere downeast!!

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a good time congrats on your alls catches

11. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i dont believe these were gar, i was using whole threadfins and there were no puncture marks