Cape Fear 12/14

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Dec 14, 2009.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out on the river today for about 4 hours. Had some paperwork to finish this morning and when I got done it was warm, calm, and cloudystiring the pot

Got the boat ready, hit the bait spot, and we were fishin'. Bite was weird today. Just seemed like they were just coming up and mouthing the bait. Seemed like good fish, not pecking at it but load the rod up a couple inches and then just kinda sit there with it. Tried several new spots and I think I found a goodun'. Didn't fish it but will the next time out.

Hadn't caught any fish all day and since it was warm we decided to stay after dark and hit one last money spot. We started getting bites all over the place and couldn't get a hook in them. I finally hooked the first fish, got it half way back to the boat and the hook pulled. Few more missed fish and finally Jason's rod slammed over and finally got one, 34lb blue! The fish actually had a hook hanging out of his butt!! I got it out but it was bleeding. Fish looked great though, really fat.

Also got a sorry picture of my new boat.

Attached Files:

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    I like the new boat Wes!

3. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Thanks for the report. Would like to see a couple of better pictures of your new boat. If your trailer is a Load Rite, I think it's the same as mine.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's a 1652MVT by Lowe. It's got a 40hp Honda tiller on it with a Performance trailer. I love it!

5. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Sweet. I have a 2007 Alumacraft 1648 NCS with a Yamaha 25. Wish I would have bought a 52 wide.

Live and learn.

6. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Nice fish and nice boat! I've been waiting on a report from you. This time last year the cats were going crazy! I wish I was still down there but at least I'm headed to Santee next Monday through Wednesday...hopefully we can hook into a few nice ones. I'll let everyone know how we did. Good luck!!

7. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Nice boat Fat Flattie. I bet that 40hp really pushes that boat down the water. I've got a 25hp on my boat and it pushes mine quite well, I'd love to have an extra 15hp though.

Any idea what your top speed is?

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Wes thanks for the report ,an from what i can tell in the pic of the boat it looks nice ,get us some better pics please :wink: that way i know what boat to follow to the hot spots to fish :cool2:

9. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Me and a friend have been talking about taking the boat down to the cape fear for a while now. We were waiting for it to get colder in hopes of catching some big blues. The only thing really stopping us is knowing where we can put the boat in the river where it is nice and deep, so that I can not worry about running into anything in the river. Also we were trying to figure out which bait works best for big blues. We figured cut bait was best, but which type we do no know. We typically fish for flatheads at night during the warmer months, and were curious about how the bite is for blues during the day vs. night. Any help would be appreciated, would love to get down there soon.

10. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    sweet boat....its an awesome feeling when you finally get your boat set up like you want it. Im almost there! haha...
    and congrats on the fish

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Got out again today b/c unfortunately they didn't work me again. Fishing is fun but it sure don't pay the bills:smile2::angry:

Ended up with 3 fish, they were still biting the same as yesterday. Got a 11, 15, and a 28 which was the fattest catfish I believe I've ever seen!

Also, the 15lber had one of Randy's rigs in his mouth and Randy hasn't fished there in almost 3 weeks!! The fish must have struggled after getting the rig caught on something b/c it had cut it's face almost through it's eye!?! Still, all in all a good day.

PS-Randy, the hot spot is on...we gotta hit it as much as we can while they are there:wink:

PPS-Thanks for all the complements on the boat guys. Brandon, I have no idea but I'd guess 30 or a little more. And Dickie, as my wife says "This ain't a hot spot, it's more like just a spot":smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, nice fish, and a damn nice boat! Congrats all the way around!

Bill in SC

13. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Awsome fish , and that is one sweet RIG you got there Wes . Hopefully I'll get a trip in downtown Sat or Sat night , I know it's gonna be cold but I think I might have to heat the LOONY TOON up . :smile2::wink::big_smile:

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Wes you keep talking like that on here an the wife is going to be mad at you :wink::smile2:

15. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    That's pretty wild that you and Randy hooked up the same fish! Thats one tough fish to almost rip its face off trying to get away. I wish I was down there now..I know the fishing is going to heat up. I got out on the golf course pond today for about 30 mins...had a double up right off the bat and only one more hit after that. Not a bad little trip...one fish was about 2 pounds and the other 5. The 5 pounder was the first cat I've ever caught on dip bait.

ps..thats the fattest cat I have ever seen out of the Cape. :smile2:

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Where's the pics of these pond cats? Ya got me beat on dip bait fish, glad that stuff worked out for ya:wink:

17. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    HAY NICE BOAT, WHERE IS THE BOAT RAMP THAT THE PHOTO WAS TAKEN, IS IN WILMINGTON NC ?

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it's in Wilmington.

19. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Here is a pic of the first one I landed off chicken livers...I was by myself and didn't take a pic of the bigger one in the midst of the chaos. (I'm not used to catching more than one at a time). Not bad for a golf course pond..I know there are bigger ones in there so I'm probably going to try again this evening. I have to wait until about 45 minutes before dark until the golfers are gone so they dont run me off. :smile2:

Attached Files:

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Cool deal man! Let us know if ya get any more while you're there.