Cape Fear 11-13-06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bufryda1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Fished the Cape from 3pm-8pm yesterday. Did pretty good, caught 12 cats all blues. All fish came on cut gizzard shad in about 15-25ft. I fished the same spot I caught that 29lb a couple days ago and never even moved but I did run out of bait. As soon as I got to my spot I didnt wait long and caught 3 quick blues in 20min. A 17lb and 2-6lbs. After that it seemed like I was getting a strike every 15 min or so. Ended up with 12 fish, biggest was the 17lb. Not to bad but I missed atleast 10 strikes. I must have been in a school of cats. Wish I wouldve had more bait. I went through 22 big gizzard shad. The river was up 5ft and muddy.

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was you anchored and fishing on the bottom? sounds like you had a great trip. thanks for the info.

3. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Yeh fishing on bottom using the Fish finder rig.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a fun trip

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what is the "fish finder rig" ?

6. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Fishfinder rig is a weight, swivel, leader and hook. You can put beads on either side of your weight, your choice. You probally heard it called something else.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Carolina, posternoster and so on.

What I call a fishfinder rig is a 4 plus ounce pryamid sinker with a hook that is not tied down on a 4-8 foot leader then a swivel. The weight and the swivel act as stops for the swiming bait fish but the free moving hook allows the baitfish to swim and act more natural. I use this when surf fishing with a 12 foot rod.