Cape Fear - 03/19/06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by C_wernett, Mar 20, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yesterday was a wonderful day to be out on the water! Didn't have much time to prepare, so I picked up a couple dozen medium shiners and some nightcrawlers and was hoping for anything. Well, what I was in store for was a fun day of catching bowfin. What a blast, and challenge, on 4lb line and light to ultralight rods. I caught a couple on my cat rod I had set up all day which I had two or three shiners on a circle hook on. I only caught one cat though, my first flattie of the season! You can see by the picture, he's not a lot to brag about, but hey, I haven't seen a flathead since last November! Also had a little luck with a couple of nice sunfish chiming in. So all in all, the river is really starting to pick back up!

Attached Files:

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    nice fish!!!!:thumbsup:

where did you fish on the Cape Fear? (what part?)

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish a couple of areas from Burgaw down to Wilmington. It's a ton easier with a boat, but I don't have a boat. So basically any bridge I come across, or walk in access I can find right now. I'll probably start hitting the NE Cape Fear in the next month also.

4. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Hey man,those bowfin are great cat bait.I've never ever been stumped useing them.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    conrad im glad to see you made it out. nice bowfin ive never caught one in north carolina. i like the looks of them flatheads too.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Mike, you just gave away your most guarded secret.

Anyone who wants to catch bowfin, come fish the Waccamah.

7. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Yeah I know.I"m feelin nicer than usual today.

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    How big does a bowfin get and are they good for anything?

9. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Not sure how big they get.I'm used to seeing 2-10lb. range.They are hard fighters.Not good for much.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I normally use them for bait also, they are a very greasy fish and attract a lot of cats and bowfin.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Keep saying that they aren't good for anything as I go serve myself up another platefull! There are actually a pretty tasty fish! There are a couple of keys to eating them though. You have to cook them fresh. I mean, fresh...fillet them while they're still flopping, and get them breaded and in the frying pan as quick as possible! If you try to refrigerate them, or freeze them...the meat turns really soft...I mean really soft! But fresh they are textured alot like catfish, but are naturally a little salty, white, and quite tasty!

When I'm looking for a "frying fish" for dinner, bowfin is the way I go. A buddy turned me onto them last year. At first, I was as speculate as anyone would be. Most of use have been beaten down with the old,"It's a trash fish...not worth anything!" speach that bass fisherman told us when we were younger. But after trying them once, I'm HOOKED. In fact, they tast a bit like bass now that I meantion it.

I've never tried them for catfish though. Do you just cut them into strips, chunks, or just smaller ones to use whole?

12. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I cut them across in about 2 inch wide strips.
    You may want to ease up on eatting to many of those jokers.
    They carry enough Mercury to build a themometer.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Studies show that they have about the same mucury levels as bass, catfish, or darn near any fish in this state. Fish like these don't acquire mercury directly from the water, but from what they eat. Mercury accumulates in plankton, and is eaten by shad, and invertibrates that are in turn eaten by bass/catfish/pickeral/crappie/bowfin...etc. So really, should any fish be eaten?...But hey, one mans trash is anothers treasure.

14. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    There is an advisory on all fresh water fish in NC east of Interstate 85 or 95. Not sure which highway it is.

Could them bowfin be kept for bait if they were salt cured ?

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dwreel it must be 95 because i havent heard about on badin or tillery but i dont eat them anyway.

conrad you might turn into the boc weatherman...lol. just kidding

16. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    nice fish! i wish we had the weather to get out on a river

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I figure I'll use the smokers excuse..."I'm going to die from something." But I don't eat that much fish really, just from time to time I get the craving for a fish meal, and I can't stand going to the store to buy fish when I can follow my hunting and gathering "man instincts"...my mom always said that if I was to die, it would probably be from fishing. :rolleyes:

18. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey c_wernett you beat me to what i was going to say. something is going to kill us all one day better fish than smoke. but any way thems some nice flats you have.

19. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Just got off my back side and checked the NC DNR site. It's South and East of Interstate 85.

There is a city park nearby that has an Advisory Sign on it. The parking lot is on one side of the lake and the sign is on the Far side of the lake. Almost as if They were trying to hide it. Sounds more like they are mearly trying to cover their back side, just in case.........

20. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I wonder if there is any way to test fish for mercury yourself. It seems odd that every bit of water south and east of 85 would be high in mercury. I dont eat fish hardly but it would be nice to know exactly how much mercury is in the fish, where you catch them.