Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing all of the caps/hats instead of a personal Avatar,I just have to ask the question,what's the difference between a cap and a hat? How many of you know the answer to this question?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
OKay.. so a cap is generally brimless or visorless... I am going to go with a hat.

However, depending on the part of the country you are in, it still will dictate if everything is a hat or a cap. We should all call sodas and pops, soft drinks or carbonated beverages. I will keep with my original theory of regionalism.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ball hats, Fishing hats, stocking caps yep .......or is it Ball Caps,Fishing Caps, Stocking Cap or Advertising for crooked car dealership dummy hat. I think hats are for gentlemen and caps for regular guys (who can behave nicely when necessary)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok Glenn, after much research, pondering, and sime stuff i won't tell, I have no answer. I am not quite sure about the hat thing, I could only find caps where there was no personal avatar. So what's the answer?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had hoped that some of the older generation of the BOC would have responded to this thread,and given us the definition of the cap and the hat. Let's wait until tomorrow and see if some of the older generation will put some input into this topic.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
How far back do you wish to go? Long long ago hats were a sign of a female's status. Married women and those with children wore hats as a sign of respectability. Unmarried women were hatless.

A cap has no brim, however it may have a visor.

A hat may or may not have a brim but is generally fancier, or more formal.

The term "feather in your cap" stems from the Native American habit of plucking a feather fro a bird and then releasing the bird saving the feather for his headdress, each feather being a sign of bravery.

Speaking of Native Americans, Why did the chief call his son 98 cents?

Because he wasn't a buck yet.....

Sorry, I just thought it would be good to "cap" off this post. :smile2:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Glen you've scrambled my egg-I wear a hat-I refer to it as my cranium cover -sland definition ofcourse but the cap and hat thing?????ENLIGHTEN ME TO THE CORRECT DEFINITION!Hey by the way no fair either your wife is a teacher:wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glen you've scrambled my egg-I wear a hat-I refer to it as my cranium cover -sland definition ofcourse but the cap and hat thing?????ENLIGHTEN ME TO THE CORRECT DEFINITION!Hey by the way no fair either your wife is a teacher:wink:
I seriously doubt that my wife knows what the definitions of cap and hat are. :roll_eyes:She isn't in to those kind of things.:wink: She is not a teacher,she is a librarian,which means she has access to plenty of resources to know the difference but caps and hats are not her cup of tea,so to speak.:smile2: So,if you were inferring that I got the information about the difference between a cap and a hat came from her,you're wrong!:big_smile:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well,we finally got the definitions that I was looking for. I thought if we could get some input from the older generation we would get the correct answer. Thank You to all of the people who participated in this thread. Now here is the definitions as I have always known them. A Cap has a Bill,and a Hat has a Brim! So,those are CAPS not HATS that are being used instead of a personal Avatars for some of BOC members.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Glenn, sorry but I didn't see your thread till this morning.

After I quit school at 16 and started working full time, the first item I bought, was a white Stetson hat! :smile2:

I'd had ball and winter caps but never a hat. Back then "we" wore ball caps with the bill to the front. :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.