Cap or Hat

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gordhawk, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    After seeing all of the caps/hats instead of a personal Avatar,I just have to ask the question,what's the difference between a cap and a hat? How many of you know the answer to this question?

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Soda, Pop, Soda-Pop, or Coke. All regionalisms.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There really is a definition for each of these forms of head wear that distinguishes them from each other. So,again I ask,is it a cap or a hat?

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    OKay.. so a cap is generally brimless or visorless... I am going to go with a hat.

However, depending on the part of the country you are in, it still will dictate if everything is a hat or a cap. We should all call sodas and pops, soft drinks or carbonated beverages. I will keep with my original theory of regionalism.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Let's see if we can get some more opinions on this topic before I give the definitions for a cap and a hat.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I wear a Tilly hat! Unless of course, I am wearing a "ball cap".

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A cap goes on a bottle and a hat goes on ones head.

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Ball hats, Fishing hats, stocking caps yep .......or is it Ball Caps,Fishing Caps, Stocking Cap or Advertising for crooked car dealership dummy hat. I think hats are for gentlemen and caps for regular guys (who can behave nicely when necessary)

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I am just curious of the answer to I would guess a cap has a brim and a hat as in a stocking cap is brimless

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok Glenn, after much research, pondering, and sime stuff i won't tell, I have no answer. I am not quite sure about the hat thing, I could only find caps where there was no personal avatar. So what's the answer?

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had hoped that some of the older generation of the BOC would have responded to this thread,and given us the definition of the cap and the hat. Let's wait until tomorrow and see if some of the older generation will put some input into this topic.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a cap has the brim on the front a hat has a brim all the way round.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A Cap has only a bill on the front , a Hat has a brim all the way around (EXAMPLE) ball cap , dress hat !

14. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was a kid a hat was usually part of the dress up wardrobe....... A cap was something you wore to keep your head warm......usually had pull down earmuffs of some sort, sockcap, hunting cap etc

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    How far back do you wish to go? Long long ago hats were a sign of a female's status. Married women and those with children wore hats as a sign of respectability. Unmarried women were hatless.

A cap has no brim, however it may have a visor.

A hat may or may not have a brim but is generally fancier, or more formal.

The term "feather in your cap" stems from the Native American habit of plucking a feather fro a bird and then releasing the bird saving the feather for his headdress, each feather being a sign of bravery.

Speaking of Native Americans, Why did the chief call his son 98 cents?

Because he wasn't a buck yet.....

Sorry, I just thought it would be good to "cap" off this post. :smile2:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cap just has a BILL,wher as a hat has a BRIM

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glen you've scrambled my egg-I wear a hat-I refer to it as my cranium cover -sland definition ofcourse but the cap and hat thing?????ENLIGHTEN ME TO THE CORRECT DEFINITION!Hey by the way no fair either your wife is a teacher:wink:

18. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I seriously doubt that my wife knows what the definitions of cap and hat are. :roll_eyes:She isn't in to those kind of things.:wink: She is not a teacher,she is a librarian,which means she has access to plenty of resources to know the difference but caps and hats are not her cup of tea,so to speak.:smile2: So,if you were inferring that I got the information about the difference between a cap and a hat came from her,you're wrong!:big_smile:

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well,we finally got the definitions that I was looking for. I thought if we could get some input from the older generation we would get the correct answer. Thank You to all of the people who participated in this thread. Now here is the definitions as I have always known them. A Cap has a Bill,and a Hat has a Brim! So,those are CAPS not HATS that are being used instead of a personal Avatars for some of BOC members.

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glenn, sorry but I didn't see your thread till this morning.

After I quit school at 16 and started working full time, the first item I bought, was a white Stetson hat! :smile2:

I'd had ball and winter caps but never a hat. Back then "we" wore ball caps with the bill to the front. :wink: