Canyon Lake Level Being Lowered

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brokenlines, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just a note to the "Zoners" out there. SRP started lowering the water level at Canyon Lake last week. Supposed to lower the level a total of 50ft. No boats will be allowed on the lake during the drawdown. Would be a good time to go scour the banks and look for the previously "hidden" holes now that the water is being lowered. Maybe some new catfishing opportunities too.

2. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I was curious, do you think they'll let me out there in my kayak?

3. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    From what I've read, no boats can be launched as the ramps will be out of the water. Also, during the drawdown, no boats allowed on the lake. I am assuming they are referring to motorized boats.

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I went out to canyon today. There are a LOT of treasures if you walk along the low water mark. I picked up two boat anchors, and about 10-15 bass lures.
    There is so much junk its unbelievable. Lanterns, sunglasses, car parts, christmas trees with bricks roped to them, hub caps, hundreds of yards of mono.
    I got to see why I get snagged in one peticular spot every time I cast, theres a submerged cable with the collar poking up. The line just drapes the cable and follows until it would snag the collar and presto!
    I didnt catch anything, not even a bite. Used everything I could throw at'em too. Shrimp, anchovies, hot dogs, worms, bluegill, liver, nothing worked.
    I did catch a monster bass (8+ lbs) accidentally while catching baitfish with my cast net. Thought it was a carp it was so fat.

5. Kevin N

Kevin N New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I called Fish and Game And the lake is closed to all Boats they said shore fishing only there at this time no rafts, canoes, rowboats they said no one is to be on the water shore is fine.. Thought i would let you all know what i was told
    Kevin

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i remember way back when lake mead was first lowered. my friend and i walked shore and waded out and filled 4-5 tackle boxes full of plugs and lures. great treasures then.
    gary

7. Kevin N

Kevin N New Member

State:
    Alabama
    last year they lowered apachiee lake we went and camped in the middle of the lake on dry land it was odd but good fishingwith it that low next year saguaro lake

Kevin